Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knocking, front end

kubsnazx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon '06
Ive recently been hearing a knock/cracking sound. As if the front end is "cracking a knuckle" so to speak

Seems to only occur when its being pressured into it for eg. if i turn right into a round a bout and as i exit and change direction to the left, there it is..... Im not sure if i can feel it in the steering wheel or if its passing the vibe to it.

:idea3:A possibility might be the rhs strut rod. Looking at the left hand one, the rhs seems to have around 10 mm less thread on it. Might need tightening up to make it the same as the left. Before doing this tho, im unsure if i will upset the balance of things if i tighten it up...

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
both struts should be tightened and have no movement in them .

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
Also check your sway bar linkages. Mine were loose and caused a similar knock. Be sure to check them soon because the more linkages knock and move the more they wear, if you leave it too long no matter how tight it is it will still knock, then you need a new sway bar.

kubsnazx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon '06
After some inspection i have concluded that the sway bar is not centered. Its seems that for 1, the mounts on the chasis arent the same on each side. Looking at the lhs brace theres 15 mm before it bends down to meet the links,,, on the rhs it bends down imediately after the brace. And 2, the strut rod is touching the sway bar on one side where as on the other side there's enough room for 2 fingers... any size.

Not knowing anything about wheel alignment, i suspect i should loosen the sway bar unloaded??

shanen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon MY06
You mean like this?

Passenger side
IMG_0830.jpg

Drivers side
IMG_0828.jpg

You can see the part of the bar on the left that is cleaner where it was under the bush.

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
replace the bushes, the top ones will be stuffed too.

revhead1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v8
make sure u haven't run ova something or bottomed out and bent the sway bar somewhere ... otherwise probs just the bushes or links may also be bent

kubsnazx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon '06
You mean like this?

Passenger side
View attachment 131539

Drivers side
View attachment 131540

You can see the part of the bar on the left that is cleaner where it was under the bush.

yes, just like that.... Can you show us the strut rod bolts. Im interested to know if you have equal thread on each side. (you can just post a reply no need for photo)
cheers

make sure u haven't run ova something or bottomed out and bent the sway bar somewhere ... otherwise probs just the bushes or links may also be bent

The links are strait, but i dont know about the sway bar yet. Probly need to take it off and view it from a few angles to check it.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
While we are on the subject of sway bars, has anyone replaced or fitted one yet? I've just bought a new sway bar because the last one was damaged.

After looking over the job I can't help thinking I'm going to be stuck removing heaps of crap trying to get it in, I wanna know if its an hour or 3 hour job. Its the front bar.