Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Koni / Bilstein Shock Help

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
what do you think of the fulcrum ComKit11 Shane. It comes with the B8 shocks as part of the kit. Hopefully I won’t get to much of a raise when installing with factory springs. But may look at H&R or King springs etc if that happens.
I haven't tried that kit but Bilstien always out performs Koni. I would go a Eibach spring personally.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
That is a generalisation and completely wrong. There is 3 different Konis available and about 7 different levels of Bilstien.
Not generslising, I'm obviously (to most) referring to the models that the OP is intetested in.
I haven't tried that kit but Bilstien always out performs Koni. I would go a Eibach spring personally.
I think you may be generalising. Which Bilstein outperforms which Koni and under what conditions? It's Saturday bro, chill...

HollySSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV Sportwagon S1
Is 90,000km a far run for the stock FE2 shocks/ struts to be worn out. Our car has had a reasonably easy life, but we do live in the country so the roads are really horrible.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Is 90,000km a far run for the stock FE2 shocks/ struts to be worn out. Our car has had a reasonably easy life, but we do live in the country so the roads are really horrible.

That's a good run for factory dampers.

HollySSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I just bit the bullet and purchased the Bilstein package. Hope they work as well as the factory did. It hurts the wallet a bit though.

Last edited:

HollySSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is $381.00 a fair price for a full Eibach Pro kit Shane. Why do you rate them over H&R, Kings, Pedders etc?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Don't forget strut top mounts. Add $150-200.
Bear in mind, Eibach springs may lower around 30mm. How angled is your driveway?

HollySSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't forget strut top mounts. Add $150-200.
Bear in mind, Eibach springs may lower around 30mm. How angled is your driveway?
Yeah very true Banjo, our driveway is fairly flat and I have a kerb ramp in the gutter as it kept rubbing the front of our old Mazda 6.
I only replaced the strut tops (Superpro), the end links (Whitline) and front sway bar bushes about a fortnight ago. So should be all good in that department. Expensive little exercise this is. But don’t want to overlook suspension components. What springs do you rate.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Nice one, making things happen. Bilstein (specifically the ones you've bought, not sure about the other 6 variants!) are a sure thing. Don't think I've ever read someone saying they don't like them.
Eibach, Tein S-tech, H&R (all progressive) I believe only offer one spring option that generally lowers a fair amount 25mm-40mm and may be perfectly suitable. King (progressive) offer multiple options starting at stock and going down to ridiculous amounts. Then there's some other brands that names escape me, that do linear springs which may offer more handling potential at the expense of ride quality, may also be better if you tow. Progressive are the most commonly used. Trawl the forum, there's heaps of info and pictures of vehicles with various springs at various heights. Please do not start a King Springs thread!!!

HollySSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice one, making things happen. Bilstein (specifically the ones you've bought, not sure about the other 6 variants!) are a sure thing. Don't think I've ever read someone saying they don't like them.
Eibach, Tein S-tech, H&R (all progressive) I believe only offer one spring option that generally lowers a fair amount 25mm-40mm and may be perfectly suitable. King (progressive) offer multiple options starting at stock and going down to ridiculous amounts. Then there's some other brands that names escape me, that do linear springs which may offer more handling potential at the expense of ride quality, may also be better if you tow. Progressive are the most commonly used. Trawl the forum, there's heaps of info and pictures of vehicles with various springs at various heights. Please do not start a King Springs thread!!!
Thanks heaps, I have had kings in the past, were a reasonable spring in my VR. No intention of starting the 10 millionth kings thread. I just don’t really know a lot about Eibach or H&R. I hear they are very highly rated or regarded for comfort in aftermarket applications though. Hopefully the finance minister will be happy with which ever we end up with.