Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L27 block Differences

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbocharged vg ute, sbc r31 skyline wagon, multip
ah nice , i had both engines fully disassembled side by side and couldn’t see any differences, i just didn’t wonna get to far into it to only find id over looked something

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
actually just looking I remember now another reason i questioned it was ordering bearings theres listings for vn vp vr then theres listings for just vr for main and conrod bearings with different part numbers they are both standard size think im just going to wing it and hope for the best because i cant seem to see or find any differences even mace couldn’t tell me so ill just try my luck i think

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My bearings in the VR were a different size.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you are using the VN rotating assembly you will need to use the VN big end bearings. VR got different rods, not sure if the crank changed. Should be fairly easy to measure crank journals and compare VN to VR. Some digital calipers will work fine to do a quick comparison.

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah ill have to hunt out a set of calipers this whole lockdown things a pain in the ass, ill go through an measure everything to be 1000x sure

i said in my other post i wanted to use the whole rotating assembly out of the vn block but i just relised thats the crank with the messed up flywheel threads.

so i guess vr block vr crank and pistons and rods out of the vn block if it is a vn block that is, once i can get another set of calipers ill go over them and check it out i did look closely and rod bearings off both blocks and they looked identical but my eye sight isn’t as good as a proper measuring device

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
unfortunately 2 holes are large ovals quite a bad job, i sat down last night and measured every thing on both cranks ive got and theres no differences in the measurements so im lucky there

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
my next mission i didn’t relise i had was finding bearings, nobody has any bearings to suit in stock no one in nz, acl Australia doesn’t have any in stock ether looking at the summit website looks like they haven’t got what im after aswell so time to put it on hold for now i think

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try Merv Gray Auto Parts. The ACL factory is 10 minutes up the road from Mervs.

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
managed to suss main bearings here in nz but ordered rod bearings from rockauto in america, a question though i probably should of asked when i ordered them do big end bearings not come with main bearings i thought they would but aparntly they’re seperate with some suppliers