Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DeathSammich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
I'm putting an l67 in my VT Commodore and I'll he using the stock ecotec wiring loom. How can i get the boost bypass solenoid to work because I don't want to be constantly boosting due to fuel consumption. Thanks :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You only achieve boost when you boot it. The boost solenoid is there to protect the engine when things get really hot to reduce boost.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The blower has a bypass valve fitted in the inlet to the blower which is controlled via vacuum/boost from under the blower. Under normal driving conditions there is a vacuum in the LIM (lower intake manifold) and this keeps the bypass valve open. If you give it a boot full or a very sharp movement of the throttle than the vacuum in the LIM will drop to 0 (like it does in a n/a car) this takes the vacuum away from the bypass valve which closes and then allows the blower to create positive pressure in the LIM.

The boost bypass solenoid is fitted into the vacuum line between the bottom of the blower and the bypass valve actuator and this allows the PCM to control the amount of vacuum applied bypass valve actuator and under certain conditions (like when things are getting way to hot) it limits boost by keeping the bypass valve open. During normal day to day driving the boost bypass solenoid doesn't do anything and the engine power (vacuum/boost) is controlled by movement of the throttle.

How rapidly the boost bypass valve opens and closes can be adjusted by the length of the vacuum hose attached to the boost bypass valve actuator. With no vacuum hose attached it's very responsive :D

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Immortality's right, the bypass solenoid only does its thing in certain situations - think excess heat, when reverse, neutral and park etc are selected. The vacuum operated flap between the upper and lower manifolds means boost cannot build when there's high manifold vac. I.e. low throttle openings, such as idle and cruise etc.

DeathSammich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
The blower has a bypass valve fitted in the inlet to the blower which is controlled via vacuum/boost from under the blower. Under normal driving conditions there is a vacuum in the LIM (lower intake manifold) and this keeps the bypass valve open. If you give it a boot full or a very sharp movement of the throttle than the vacuum in the LIM will drop to 0 (like it does in a n/a car) this takes the vacuum away from the bypass valve which closes and then allows the blower to create positive pressure in the LIM.

The boost bypass solenoid is fitted into the vacuum line between the bottom of the blower and the bypass valve actuator and this allows the PCM to control the amount of vacuum applied bypass valve actuator and under certain conditions (like when things are getting way to hot) it limits boost by keeping the bypass valve open. During normal day to day driving the boost bypass solenoid doesn't do anything and the engine power (vacuum/boost) is controlled by movement of the throttle.

How rapidly the boost bypass valve opens and closes can be adjusted by the length of the vacuum hose attached to the boost bypass valve actuator. With no vacuum hose attached it's very responsive :D
Okay because when I look up everyone was saying it is constantly boosting with the solenoid connected so I'm quite confused lol

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It'll build boost with the vaccum to the ACTUATOR disconnected. Not the SOLENOID. You don't need the solenoid - lots of people get rid of them because its common for them to leak which means you lose performance even when the actuator is in the closed position.

DeathSammich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
It'll build boost with the vaccum to the ACTUATOR disconnected. Not the SOLENOID. You don't need the solenoid - lots of people get rid of them because its common for them to leak which means you lose performance even when the actuator is in the closed position.
I'm using an ecotec loom so is there anyway I can connect the actuator?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The actuator is not electronic, Vacuum control only.