Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 - Few questions

Atkins4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais supercharged
I have a 98 VT Calais with the L67, running a 10 psi pulley (forgot measurements) with a twin 2.5" system, and MSD coils. I have recently purchased a Mace intercooler kit second hand (the guy ran it for 500kms before skidding into a tree with a fresh built motor) which came with a 71mm pulley. The guy I brought it from said the pulley is good for 17 psi, but he seemed to be full of s*** and not know very much about cars at all.

Question 1: Can anyone tell me roughly what the pulley would make?
Question 2: Is the intercooler worth running with my 10 psi set up? Or not worth the effort until I put the smaller pulley on? The intercooler is an air to air set up.
Question 3: Where in Adelaide can I get a good tune without blowing the budget (Im an apprentice, $13 an hour, whoo)
Question 4: I have a set of 1.9:1 roller rockers which came in a previous car when I brought it, the previous owner said they were mace, however when they were in, my car was dead down low, and barely had anything up high. Put the standard ones back in and it makes alot more power right across the range. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Leathal11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6spd Ute / VS 5spd L67 Ute III
Regarding the cooler most people say if you are going to run boost higher than 10psi it's best to cool it.

Getting it tuned is rather expencive, iv had mine tuned at Awesome Automotive and that cost me close to $1k but it did spend just about a whole day on the dyno
It's probably best to get it tuned if you are going to run any boost higher than stock

Just wondering how much did you pay for the cooler? Did it come with everything? I'm on the hunt for an A2A kit

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Question 1: Can anyone tell me roughly what the pulley would make?

On a L67, boost is measured as restriction. I find the best rule is to use MM for measurement as depending on setup, what one engine may show compared to another maybe completely different. The more mods you make to the engines ability to breath, the less boost will be shown in the manifold.

Question 2: Is the intercooler worth running with my 10 psi set up? Or not worth the effort until I put the smaller pulley on? The intercooler is an air to air set up.

With the air to air, you will DEFIANTLY need a tune straight away, with out a tune it will drive like crap. If it were me, I would maybe look at a cam, double row timing chain, valve springs and a smaller pulley, probably around the 64mm mark before fitting the A2A and getting it tuned. NOTE fit the smaller pully AFTER you fit the inter cooler.

Question 3: Where in Adelaide can I get a good tune without blowing the budget (Im an apprentice, $13 an hour, whoo)

Not sure where in Adelaide to take the L67, some others maybe able to help you out. Make sure that you get it tuned using MAP software, for the A2A MAP is so much better. Downside is it will cost more.

Question 4: I have a set of 1.9:1 roller rockers which came in a previous car when I brought it, the previous owner said they were mace, however when they were in, my car was dead down low, and barely had anything up high. Put the standard ones back in and it makes alot more power right across the range. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Sounds a bit strange to me. Did you have the pre-load set right?? Maybe your valve springs are getting a little weak????

Atkins4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais supercharged
I paid $1500 for the set up. Came with a big front mount, pipes, rubber hoses, plate, has a bov port, and came with the 71mm pulley.

The intercooler probably wont be going on for a while, just trying to work out what i need to do. Doing a 5 speed conversion when i find the last couple bits. Thanks for the advice, the preload was good, but you may be onto something with the springs, ill check them when i can.

YMY-70Y

Need more powwwaaahhh
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sII S and VT sII S
Yea but using an A2A means its possible to have a bov

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Yea but using an A2A means its possible to have a bov

wtf are you high??? there is no need for it and you have got to be the biggest moron to put one on just so you can say you have a bov

Atkins4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais supercharged
Didnt say I was gonna run a bov, just said it has a port.. However would be interesting to see how many tools ask if its turbo if it had one..

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
pretty sure if i heard a bov i'd assume it was either a turbo or a side mount supercharger... not entirely sure how you would make it work either without losing boost

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Will the 5 speed be strong enough once you've got the A2A installed with more boost and a tune?