Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 super6 on LPG Injection?

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by jip123, Aug 16, 2012.

1. jip123

jip123 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vx Equipe S2
    hi there
    Im wondering if its possible to run Vapour injection aka lpg injection on a supercharged v6 engine. has anyone had it done?

2. DAKSTER

DAKSTER Beam me up Scotty!

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    I plan to run liquid injected gas on an LS3 with a top mount blower. Everything I have researched so far say its not only possible, its a bloody good thing to do. It will only work with injected gas though, the old style mixer system is unsuitable.

LPG is 110 Octane, run gas only and tune to suit, not only do you have more power but you have cheaper fuel. Win/Win.

3. Dr HaxZaw

Dr HaxZaw New Member

Members Ride:
    R34 GT-T
    although you use more gas than fuel so dunno how it would work out economically

4. chargedvx6

chargedvx6 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VY SII HBD Calais L67
    Yep, easily doable. The injection management ecu runs from the MAF signal and is scaled to compensate for different AFRs LPG inj. Still runs the stock ecu and tune as well

5. frogsta

frogsta Sleeper

Members Ride:
    Mazda 6 MPS 2.3L Turbo AWD
    Pretty sure you use 15% more LPG than petrol per 100km or unit of distance. Yet it is generally half the price, so you're still saving a fair bit.
    Also, who cares, more power :p

6. YMY-70Y

YMY-70Y Need more powwwaaahhh

Members Ride:
    VY sII S and VT sII S
    I think you use 30/40% more gas then fuel.....Gas also carries less energy meaning worse fuel consumption. and power? Also possible head / valve problems

Also doesn't gas burn hotter then petrol? Making heat soak a bigger problem.

7. aussieakito

aussieakito Gold Certified Tech

Members Ride:
    Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
    i had gas..
    Wasnt saving any money
    took it out
    More power
    Drives better
    SCREW GAS IT SUCKS

in my humble opinion

8. Loaded Dice

Loaded Dice .... Lets roll.

Members Ride:
    MY12 SSV Redline
    My SSV uses 13l/100 on gas OR petrol, no noticeable power difference running on either, if anything more power when I fill
    With 100% propane (110RON) instead of regar auto blend (106RON)

Best thing I did with her.

9. IBLOWN

IBLOWN Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa

Yes but was it gas injection? Ive experiened gas injection and the old style. Injection is really good. Old style is absolute poo...

10. Dr HaxZaw

Dr HaxZaw New Member

Members Ride:
    R34 GT-T
    yeah a 2012 lpg system is going to be a lot better than the older systems

11. lein

lein Comrade Commodore

Members Ride:
    VC 202/4sp
    That might be true of the old mixer setups (~20-30%) and of the vapour injection (~10-15%) but the liquid injection LPG is as good as if not better in some circumstances because of the higher octane and the cooling effect of the liquid changing states to vapour in the head and absorbing heat.

12. DAKSTER

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    You had dual fuel, badly tuned. Any dual fuel car is a compromise when it comes to tuning to begin with, let it get out of control and you are looking for trouble. Even a mixer system though, in good condition and tune, saves a lot of cash with minimal power loss. I have been using LPG for many years. You should have persevered.

Agreed. Liquid injection is very cold at the injection point and this helps considerably. How cold is the expanding gas in a bbq bottle when you open the tap? Thats exactly how cold the LPG is when it arrives in the combustion chamber. Also, modern engines can handle so much more, even if it wasnt cold you wouldnt be burning valves etc.

LPG is 106-110 octane so tuning for it can only gain you power, and liquid injection vs a gas mixer system is like EFI vs a single barrel Stromberg in terms of efficiency.

I doubt you would lose any economy at all, you would certainly gain power in a correctly tuned engine, and you still get to pay half the price for fuel :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  13. DAKSTER

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    This Mustang has a 4.0L six (donated by an AU Falcon ex taxi !!! ) and runs low 9's on LPG.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  14. Trikky

Trikky New Member

Members Ride:
    VS S Pack
    yep no comparrison between the old mixer systems and the injected LPG systems
    Many years ago I had a 5ltr on straight LPG using a mixer and it was ok but nothing fantastic, about 12mths ago I converted my VS V6 to vapour injection and love it you can hardly tell the difference in power between petrol and LPG and on a long drive it gets down to just under 10l/100 on LPG, the liquid injection is better again as Dakster has already mentioned

15. frogsta

frogsta Sleeper

Members Ride:
    Mazda 6 MPS 2.3L Turbo AWD
    Factory LPG holdens are pretty bad. Mine was sprintgas, also used a mixer but got about 350km to a tank wheras a full tank of petrol gets me 400-450, so I guess more around 20%

16. Loaded Dice

Loaded Dice .... Lets roll.

Members Ride:
    MY12 SSV Redline
    Mine is dual fuel, it still starts on petrol when cold then flicks its self over to LPG once the engine temp reaches 33oC (I think, may have wrong temp there, but something along those lines) In summer it just starts on petrol, nothing for me to do, it just does it.

They reccomend that you run on petrol every now and then, if for no other reason than to keep fresh juice in the tank, burn up the old stuff, so I use about 20L of petrol a month, and over 100L of gas every week.

Keeping in mind that it runs colder plugs and is tuned to perform at its optimum on LPG, my car only uses 600ml per 100km of petrol more than the fuel economy figures that come with a factory petrol car, but also gets the same economy (13L/100Km) on LPG.

As for power, I really should put mine on the dyno, pitty I didn't before I had LPG fitted to see exactly what gain or loss there was, but when switching between the two, it feels to me to have increased power on LPG, but again, it is tuned for it, but having said that, I may or may not have (lol) had a run UP Anthonys cutting with a MY11 model on petrol, who no longer laughs when he sees an SSV on LPG. ;)

17. westerlybreeze

westerlybreeze Member

Members Ride:
    VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
    I heard some sort of special injectors have to be used for liquid injection, what truth is there to that? .. can normal injectors be used?

18. DAKSTER

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    I havent gone into it that far yet, my LS3 is still wrapped in plastic and comes with no induction system at all, just an empty valley. I would assume that if different injectors are required then the gas people would fit them with the gas? I'll let you know when it all starts happening :)

19. pjdm1980

pjdm1980 Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!

Members Ride:
    E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
    I had the vapour injection on my old S/C Stato and it was great with only slightly more gas per 100 than petrol with no noticeable power loss then I moved up to the LS2 GTS with JTG injection and it get pretty much identical economy on both fuels and its up 10rwk's on the JTG system.

20. DAKSTER

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    But thats impossible!! Everyone knows LPG sucks for both power and economy.. LPG is for BBQ's they tell me !! :rofl2:

Seriously, thats just proof of what I am saying.. LPG is as good as petrol or better for both power and economy with the right system and tune, and STILL costs half the price..

pjdm1980 likes this.