Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 WH Alternator issues (in short smoke no go)

jonathon

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH L67
Question to the Holden Gods .

THE BACK STORY
Three days ago the misses started the Wh and smelt something burn for a second or two(continued to drive). Day 2 short trip to shops , return car will not start.
My first thought regulator as when I tested battery it was down in the 9's and after jump starting voltage was going no where fast.
Now after changing the regulator (did nothing Bosch part) swapped with another from a vx we get a rising voltage (on a fresh battery) followed by the alternator heating to a point in which i smell winding burning, and the unit temp is way out of touch range .
Now after replacing the unit with a new fitting im having the same 0-f_ing hot alternator in 3mins issue , at which point I'm looking for short or bad connection issue.

Where is the best place to start , i have pulled loom apart from battery to alternator both the voltage sample and alternator output cables test .1ohm from terminal to terminal. Cleaned all these before putting back together including all the connections onto battery

Does anyone know what the normal operating temps for an alternator with just running car load (no ac, lights in or out , stereo)?

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
They do get hot, they get a lot of heat soak from the engine running temp aswel. Altho i cannot say whether urs is 'too' hot, and i do not know an exact temp range. If u have a new or recon unit then there may be a slight smell for a little while. With the car running it should sit at about 13.8v-14.2v ISH, someone will correct these figures if theyre wrong. If uve got a new alternator (with new reg) and new battery...u shouldnt have any dramas...with the charging system side of things anyway?
I would think a short circuit would be cooking fuses left, right and centre and giving u all sorts of electrical dramas.

May sound silly, but is the belt on in the correct orientation?

jonathon

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH L67
Yeah the belts fine voltages are good, just the heat im worried about literally 90 seconds after start with the bonnet open and its at cook a roast temps

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If you can't hold your hand on the alternator something is wrong. I had a 'reconditioned' one that sat just above 100 degrees. I replaced that one and now this one sits at around 60-65.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would be taking the alternator back to where u got it from, and getting another one

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
so take it back and tell them its faulty. if u take the belt off does the pulley spin relatively freely and quietly?