Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

l76 lifter tick

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
How much does it cost to have a mechanic to change lifters and camshaft
Would largely depend on whether your going for stock replacement or doing a dod delete and performance cam upgrade

YT-OG

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 2009 6.0litre
Does any one no a good mechanic wester australia
Would largely depend on whether your going for stock replacement or doing a dod delete and performance cam upgrade
I know cost about $1000 for did delete kit, $1200 for a cam, but roughly how many hours it should take to do the job on avg prices

grasshopper645

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS Ute 6.0
Thanks for the comments.

The noise I have is definitely lifter tick. Do you think this is the sort of job I could do with the engine in the car? I'm thinking all new lifters, new cam and cam bearings.

If i'm having to pull the engine then i'm thinking i may as well just leave it till it blows then do a full rebuild...Thoughts? Money is not really the issue I just have decided to keep my VZ ute auto given they arent making them anymore and I want to keep it forever.

hk69v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL
I'm mechanic by trade 11+ years of experience. I've done a few of these and we found the cam bearings to be the issue. The bearings wear allowing excessive oil to seep past them resulting in pressure drop to the lifters. This pressure drop lowers the PSI on the point of the roller which should be in the thousends (dont know actual number) which lets the roller skate (i know) which wears some of the case hardening off it.

The resolution is to do the cam bearings. We do cam bearings, cam, lifters, oil pump, timing chain, full gasket kit, head bolts and machine the heads. We don't have any issues with the engines and this is what our engine builders told us to do and both are in their 50-60's and work together. one of their ex employes actually works with us and he detected the cam bearing issue for us and I figured the rest out.
Hi mate, would this problem also be in the Ls1 gen 111 in a VZ SS?
We have oil pressure issues when hot and the lifter noise comes in and out when hot and usually at idle or low revs. We've had the pick up cleaned out and just recently the oil pump replaced which has actually made the problem worse if anything.
Oil pressure when cold is just under 3 bar .
When hot the oil pressure stays around the 3 bar mark until you stop driving and the car goes down to idle...oil pressure drops rapidly to the zero and the CHECK oil light and alarm comes on.
We have had the oil pressure sensor changed also.
Help

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
We have oil pressure issues when hot and the lifter noise comes in and out when hot and usually at idle or low revs. We've had the pick up cleaned out and just recently the oil pump replaced which has actually made the problem worse if anything.
When hot the oil pressure stays around the 3 bar mark until you stop driving and the car goes down to idle...oil pressure drops rapidly to the zero and the CHECK oil light and alarm comes on.
Help

Could be a pump issue with the new pump install but if it's the same after it could be worn engine bearings.
The lifter noise is likely lack of pressure up top due to mains bleed off.

grasshopper645

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS Ute 6.0
Help

Your issue sounds more like warn main bearings to me.

The issue i'm referring to is the DOD lifters on the early 6L that don't do anything. I'm going to do a DOD delete and check the cam bearings while i'm there. If they are warn i'll have to tear it down and replace them, if they look fine i'll risk it.