Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L77 DOD lifters

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
is it needed to replace the dod stuff if you put on a blower?

I know they are not built to rev high, hence the lower cut out, would someone be playing with fire leaving them in putting a 2300 on, if the redline was kept conservative?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
What's your reason for asking?

My reason for this question is that I don't think I'd be saving that money by leaving them in place, if I were already doing that much work to the car; and if you're planning on force-feeding it, you're obviously not concerned about the fuel economy.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6
I'm told the accepted practice is to remove DOD if you are doing significant engine mods. It eliminates the potential for problems, and you can run a better camshaft profile.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The LT4 supercharged V8 is used in ZL1 Comoro and provides 485kw & 881 Nm. As I understand it, this engine has both AFM and continuously variable valve timing.

I imaging it works very well so I guess anything (L77) can be engineered to perform when one has a big GM style budget to play with.

But my understanding is that AFM has a slightly different cam profile for the cylinders that can be shut down. As such, when people want to drop a performance cam in their engine, the AFM gear is always removed as i guess it simplifies the builders job. Same seems to be the case with adding a supercharger.

But what is your engine builder recommending?