Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L83 What news to me.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I do find it strange though that the VF where built from mid 2013 but they are not classed as 2013 models they are classed as MY14.
That’s an American disease that ended-up spreading everywhere … they all tried to release the “new model” earlier & earlier, to not lose-out to The Competitors. If a new model gets released after about June these days, it’s the “next year’s model”.

Americans tend to talk about American cars as “model years”, a 1971 Dodge Dart is model-year 1971, probably made from 9/70 to 9/71 … there was probably an internal model-code such as when we refer to a VF or a VE or an XD or an EA or an HQ here, but to car-folk over there it’s all about the Model Year & I’ve never seen those model-codes for a US car (apart maybe from Heeps - but they’re trucks, not cars).

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
regal peacock is a great colour
Sold my Phantom Black redline to buy a Regal Peacock one.
I do find it strange though that the VF where built from mid 2013 but they are not classed as 2013 models they are classed as MY14.
Honestly I love Regal Peacock, I love most greens on cars.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
May was early for a MY14 release but I soppose it was a new shape and model. At least my MY14 was built in September which I used to own.

The last VF models built in 2017 were MY17 in the correct year. My MY17 was day 2 off production line in 2017 :cool:

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
May was early for a MY14 release but I soppose it was a new shape and model. At least my MY14 was built in September which I used to own.

The last VF models built in 2017 were MY17 in the correct year. My MY17 was day 2 off production line in 2017 :cool:
Yeah, the MY thing has always seemed stupid to me. Its not like the last VF's off the line in 2017 are MY18 models lol.
Mines built in 2016 so i call it what it is... A 2016 VF2 SSV Redline!

Back when i was growing up, i had many Gemini's, never once did i look at it in any other way than the year the compliance plate said it was built.

My wife was born in september 1987 ---MY88? haha

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Yeah, the MY thing has always seemed stupid to me. Its not like the last VF's off the line in 2017 are MY18 models lol.

Back when i was growing up, i had many Gemini's, never once did i look at it in any other way than the year the compliance plate said it was built.

My wife was born in september 1987 ---MY88? haha
But Your car is a MY16 anyway so not really an issue. Some cars built from September 2015 were MY16 - Series 2 VF cars.

Well I'm a 1970 model. Does that mean I'm MY17 being made in September?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Being a Redline from 2016 I don't know if there would be many differences ... but if you think about it, if you had a 2014-built Redline then you'd really want to be referring to it by it's model-year, as there are a few things about an MY15 which make it different enough to an MY14 that people would want to know ... the flappy-paddles in an auto for example, and if it's a dark colour the fact that an MY15 doesn't have 1997-Autosalon-spec wheels.

I reckon Subaru were the first to import this particular American crime to Straya. Mid 90's they were doing minor upgrades to every model they sold every year, in about September, so to differentiate they were using the Model Year thing rather than a model-code ... you only hear of a 2nd Gen or MY97 Liberty (most spec-levels will differ between an MY96 and MY97 despite both being the second generation of Liberty), although I'm sure the code is there it's never referred to as the equivalent of TX or TE or TF or (*shudder*) RB from Gemini Land (or Mark I, Mark II, Mark III for stuff in the UK).
Now I think about it, the way we named things here tended to reflect what they did in Mainland Europe and Japan, didn't it? BMW's we always referred to as a model-code, same with Toyotas. I wonder if a BMW enthusiast from SoCal in 1981 considered that they had an E21 325e or a MY78 325e?