Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking Coolant - Corroded T Fitting

ja9

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
Thanks for the info. Have the same problem and have been looking for a couple of days now for a "How to Fix". Now have some avenues to follow and hopefully problem solved.

camer0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Vacationer
So I have finally got around to replacing the T fitting. I have got the intake manifold off to make it easier to remove. Its quite rusty as you can see from the other pics and wont budge. I tried to turn it after butting brake fluid and acetone onto it and it started to round the edges. Any ideas on how to remove a fitting that is this badly corroded? I'm going to leave it overnight to soak in the corrosive fluid. Worst case I see is that I will round the edges. Then have to grind the T fitting off and slowly saw through the remainder. Suggestions?

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
My mechanic said he had to bash the fitting with a crowbar so he could get a breaker bar onto it, and even then it required some muscle to persuade it to crack loose

camer0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Vacationer
Thought I would give an update. A mix of auto trans fluid and acetone scrubbed in with a tooth brush and left overnight. The next day turned it tighter a small bit with an adjustable spanner and then looser and it worked. The fitting came out easy as.
New intake manifold gasket from supercheap $18, new fitting $45 +gst from nissan and generic coolant hose to replace damaged one $25.
Not bad i thought just need to get round to re assembling it all now