Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Level 3 Cluster Configuring

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
I have a 2000 Series 2 VT-S which had a level 2 single window cluster. I have now fitted a Level 3 cluster. All functions work, fuel used, trip time, average and inst fuel etc etc.

2 holden dealers told me 100% different things, one said the odo should change to the original by itself coz its saved in the ecu, the other said its saved in the actul cluster, but after 100,000ks they are locked and can never be changed.

Neither of them would clear my airbag light without wanting to check over my whole srs system.

My issues

- Airbag light came on but have reset that now so no issue there
- The overspeed just says "OFF" and cannot be adjusted
- The Odo is wrong
- Is there a way to make the hidden features (Holding mode and up button while starting) be there all the time?

Any help with this is much appreciated.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
u will need 2 get the cluster recalibrated 2 suit ur car as the lvl 3 cluster more than likely has different features.

the level 3 cluster does it have a white or black back housing? if its white it can b changed using a tech 2 at any stage which means its from a VT. If its black its from a VX and if theres more than 100kms on the odo then it cant b changed backwards but it can add on kms if thats wat u need 2 have it the same. Some of the later VTs and more higher end VTs used the VX cluster even tho its in VT. The odo reading gets saved in the cluster itself not the ecu thats y all clusters need/must b calibrated 2 suit ur own individual car.

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
thanks for the info, the one that came OUT of the car has a black backing, the one that went IN has a white backing.

I had a similar to tech 2 machine plugged into it today while i cleared the airbag light. It was set for V6 and all the gauges etc all work fine after testing. when i went to a calibrate function it just said it couldnt connect to the cluster. so im presuming i need an actual tech 2 to do this. Yet holden wont touch it.... I need a 3rd party source for a tech 2 lol

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
Also, i need the odo to come down not up unfortountly. the car has 172,000ks but the new cluster says 412,000ks :( no wonder it was at the wreckers lol.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
The ODO cannot be changed, its stuck on 412,000kms, You will just have to know how many Kms are on there by doing some sums.
And i would say it would need to be calibrated for your car to get all the functions to work correctly. not to sure on that. Something tells me you need to have a HI or LUX BCM to control all the 3 displays correctly.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
since u got the white cluster going in the KMs can b changed using the tech 2 unit so ur in luck. Speak 2 dr bob on the forums and give him all the details of ur car (he will ask u). last time i heard he was only charging around $150 2 do it.

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
Just worked out the Over speed function, i had to hold the mode button to activate it and its now working.

But yeah, last issue is the ODO, im loving the info wrx884. I sent him a PM yesterday, just waiting for a reply, will get that done asap so the Ks are as close to original as possible. Trying not to drive it much to keep it the same

Dangerous Dave

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Caprice
hey mate..

Says your in parkdale ?

give these guys a call and ask for gary
Express Onsite Auto Electrics
122 Fairbank Road, Clayton South VIC 3169 (03) 9558 1123

They have a tech 2 and gaz can do nearly anything :)

Tell him dangerous dave sent ya.

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
hey mate..

Says your in parkdale ?

give these guys a call and ask for gary
Express Onsite Auto Electrics
122 Fairbank Road, Clayton South VIC 3169 (03) 9558 1123

They have a tech 2 and gaz can do nearly anything :)

Tell him dangerous dave sent ya.

They wanted to send it off, didnt want to touch it and said the white/black backed theory of one being able to be adjusted is wrong....

So i said but do you have a tech 2 so we can alteast try it first before sending it away. He reply yeah we have one but wont do it

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
Well my best price so far out of 15 + stores

$200 and he needs both clusters for 2 days

They are telling me you cant just change the Ks with a tech 2 even with a white back. One asked if it was a white back, but he still had to pull the cluster apart