Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Level 3 cluster upgrade

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Esteem S2
Hey guys,

I just brought myself a level 3 v6 cluster and I was wondering what the part number for the patch loom was, I have been told that it was 289 but my car already has that

thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was of the understanding that the patch loom is a custom make. There was a member who used to make them but he has moved away.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Esteem S2
I was of the understanding that the patch loom is a custom make. There was a member who used to make them but he has moved away.
Wouldn’t I just be able to get one from another car with the level 3 cluster already

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wouldn’t I just be able to get one from another car with the level 3 cluster already
Nope, it won't work. It needs to be the proper patch loom. @vs-lover knows exactly what is required as he has done it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Part of the problem is the old harness goes in behind, so you can't rip it out and swap it over. I guess you could cut open the cab module with a grinder.....

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
This is the correct part.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rare-HSV-Level-2-To-Level-3-Upgrade-Loom-For-VR-Or-VS-/254607840502?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=5jdi%2BT0SUMaR9W%2BUZfKRhnV2yMg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

These were custom made for the Maloo ute as they didn't utilize Climate Control and all vehicles that were sold with a level 3 Instrument cluster were Climate Control equipped cars. eg. Berlina, Calais, Statesman and Caprice.

The person Losh was referring to was member "88GreenVN". He has left Australia and no longer has anything to do with making "Patch Looms".

There are quite a lot of lengthy threads on this website that deal with this issue and describe it very much indepth.

...................................And just to clarify why you have the same number on your loom is because they all (patch Looms that is) are originally a Level 2 loom that has sections of the Level 3 loom grafted into the L2 loom, thus why they tend to retain their originally fitted part number identification.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Esteem S2
This is the correct part.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rare-HSV-Level-2-To-Level-3-Upgrade-Loom-For-VR-Or-VS-/254607840502?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=5jdi%2BT0SUMaR9W%2BUZfKRhnV2yMg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

These were custom made for the Maloo ute as they didn't utilize Climate Control and all vehicles that were sold with a level 3 Instrument cluster were Climate Control equipped cars. eg. Berlina, Calais, Statesman and Caprice.

The person Losh was referring to was member "88GreenVN". He has left Australia and no longer has anything to do with making "Patch Looms".

There are quite a lot of lengthy threads on this website that deal with this issue and describe it very much indepth.

...................................And just to clarify why you have the same number on your loom is because they all (patch Looms that is) are originally a Level 2 loom that has sections of the Level 3 loom grafted into the L2 loom, thus why they tend to retain their originally fitted part number identification.
How hard is it up custom my loom, like what is required for it

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
thats the lvl 3 cluster thread have a read the info is in there,

its not hard to make a patch loom you need to wire in an extra plug and run a wire from the ecu over to the cluster, it is a dash out job to fit the loom and run that wire.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
it is a dash out job to fit the loom and run that wire.

Yes that's the thread I was thinking of !

It's also what some have called a brutal job, even Shane (88GreenVN)used to call it brutal and never allowed a customer to see how the job went down. Sadly these looms were fitted during the process of assembling the whole dash with all it's associated parts on the "Cockpit Module" assembly line and the loom is placed in between the rear cluster protection housing and the firewall. There is no easy access to that section of the car. The safest way to do the job was to withdraw all the pins out of their respective dash plugs (yes those Orange and Blue ones) and feed the cabling through and then re-insert the pins into the plug housings. Doing it this way is very time consuming and mistakes can be easily made (wrong pin into wrong hole) but it places no stress on to the wiring which doing it the rough way will have adverse effects later on I'm sure. (intermittent electrical issues)