Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LLT - LFX

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
Hi All. I posted this on the wrong forum before so I am now here with more information.

My neighbor has a 2011 Commodore Ute with an LLT engine (aluminum intake) and a wrecked 2012Commodore Sedan with a LFX (plastic intake) Engine.

I swapped in the LFX engine for him at his request. I swapped the engine, harness, computer, all accessories (fuel system alternator, a/c, alt, P/s, intake, transmisison, all sensors, etc etc). It was very easy to install was the good news!

Bad News when I tried to start the Ute, it said "Security System" and does not crank. I swapped over the steering column (complete with keys and key reader) and instrument cluster with the same result. (Though I was going to be sneaky and fool it.)

I'm not sure where he should go from here. I'm providing the labor for free (he lost everything in the Lismore Floods) so I'm willing to put in the leg work. Is it possible to send his Engine ECU out for programming to "unlock it"? Does it need to be coded to the body ecu (PCM) in order to work? How big of a can of worms did he open?

Thanks sooooo much!

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Not really a huge can of worms but everything including the BCM, head unit, cluster all have to have matching vin numbers (some just the last 8 digits) or it will be security lockout time. Since you have done just about everything unplug power to the head unit and take it out of the equation and see what happens.

Looks like you didn't use the BCM also because it is a sedan but plug it in and see what happens it won't matter it should still get it started.

PCM/ECU are the same thing
BCM body control module under the dash about 8 -10 plugs I don't have one in front of me to count :)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
When you said the alloy intake, I completely forgot about that one.

I had in my mind that you had an LY7 or LE0

Much easier on this job.

For the conversion on the motor, there was a thread in the last year (or less) on this. Also there are a few other threads too.

You still need ALL modules on the network talking to each other with the same VIN.

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
Not really a huge can of worms but everything including the BCM, head unit, cluster all have to have matching vin numbers (some just the last 8 digits) or it will be security lockout time. Since you have done just about everything unplug power to the head unit and take it out of the equation and see what happens.

Looks like you didn't use the BCM also because it is a sedan but plug it in and see what happens it won't matter it should still get it started.

PCM/ECU are the same thing
BCM body control module under the dash about 8 -10 plugs I don't have one in front of me to count :)
Thanks for the reply. Ok... I will swap over the BCM and the Head Unit to see what happens. By head unit i assume you mean the radio entertainment thing in the center of the dash. Correct??

Reactions: Lex

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
When you said the alloy intake, I completely forgot about that one.

I had in my mind that you had an LY7 or LE0

Much easier on this job.

For the conversion on the motor, there was a thread in the last year (or less) on this. Also there are a few other threads too.

You still need ALL modules on the network talking to each other with the same VIN.
Thanks... Searched for those threads but came up with nothing. Will try some new key words. So far I found a handful that talks about if it was possible and another that said there was no reason too as it was not a performace increase. Don't care about performance, just tying to help my very poor friend. Thanks for you helP!

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Thanks... Searched for those threads but came up with nothing. Will try some new key words. So far I found a handful that talks about if it was possible and another that said there was no reason too as it was not a performace increase. Don't care about performance, just tying to help my very poor friend. Thanks for you helP!

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply. Ok... I will swap over the BCM and the Head Unit to see what happens. By head unit i assume you mean the radio entertainment thing in the center of the dash. Correct??
Yes the head unit is the Entertainment unit.
All the threads they are talking about were people using the same ECU and changing injectors to the LLT ones which is one way to do it, you have gone the other way and using the LFX ECU and transmission which theoretically would have made the job easier if you knew that you had to change VIN numbers on them and do a reset and link on the ECU
Even the EBCM - the brake module has a VIN from memory
Park Assist module which they don't have on a utes has a VIN once again from memory.
If you were in Adelaide I could have written the correct VIN to the ECU and TDM and nothing else would have needed to be swapped over it would just be a quick reset and link on the ECU and away you go.

The BCM is important in the fact that it doesn't actually hold any security information but it does do a lot.
The BCM gets a signal from the key reader which has the immobiliser data it then translates that and reads the ECU immobiliser data and translates that and if they match it then checks if any other system has an objection to the key & ecu having a good time.
So basically any other system which doesn't have the same VIN can object to the key & ecu having fun and the BCM shuts everything down with a security error. It really is that simple and that complicated :)

Last edited:

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
Yes the head unit is the Entertainment unit.
All the threads they are talking about were people using the same ECU and changing injectors to the LLT ones which is one way to do it, you have gone the other way and using the LFX ECU and transmission which theoretically would have made the job easier if you knew that you had to change VIN numbers on them and do a reset and link on the ECU
Even the EBCM - the brake module has a VIN from memory
Park Assist module which they don't have on a utes has a VIN once again from memory.
If you were in Adelaide I could have written the correct VIN to the ECU and TDM and nothing else would have needed to be swapped over it would just be a quick reset and link on the ECU and away you go.

The BCM is important in the fact that it doesn't actually hold any security information but it does do a lot.
The BCM gets a signal from the key reader which has the immobiliser data it then translates that and reads the ECU immobiliser data and translates that and if they match it then checks if any other system has an objection to the key & ecu having a good time.
So basically any other system which doesn't have the same VIN can object to the key & ecu having fun and the BCM shuts everything down with a security error. It really is that simple and that complicated :)
THanks for all the help!

Good news. I now have a running car. I have the ECU from the car and the BCM from the Ute and the car does not seem to care. As soon as I unplugged the Head Unit the security system stopped killing the car. I do have one problem however. The car does not crank. If I jump the starter relay (which I tried with the head unit plugged in and won't start like that) it starts right up. Not sure if it's something with the computers or just a simple failure like the clutch switch or something. I will take the head unit out of the white car and install it into the Ute to see if it runs like that.

All of your knowledge and my labor is going to a good cause as the guy has no money and in a tight spot due to the Lismore floods ruining his home. Will do some testing on Monday and will come back armed with more knowledge and more questions I;m sure.

You guys here are legends. It's running great and drives well. Will tackle the cranking problem and see if I can get a working head unit for him.

Thank you thank you thank you

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You will need to get the BCM to have the same VIN. Until that happens, there will be fuel or spark denied to the engine.

Wait. At the end, you are saying the car is driving? I do t know how you did it with a mismatched BCM but it is what it is.

Well done.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
THanks for all the help!

Good news. I now have a running car. I have the ECU from the car and the BCM from the Ute and the car does not seem to care. As soon as I unplugged the Head Unit the security system stopped killing the car. I do have one problem however. The car does not crank. If I jump the starter relay (which I tried with the head unit plugged in and won't start like that) it starts right up. Not sure if it's something with the computers or just a simple failure like the clutch switch or something. I will take the head unit out of the white car and install it into the Ute to see if it runs like that.

All of your knowledge and my labor is going to a good cause as the guy has no money and in a tight spot due to the Lismore floods ruining his home. Will do some testing on Monday and will come back armed with more knowledge and more questions I;m sure.

You guys here are legends. It's running great and drives well. Will tackle the cranking problem and see if I can get a working head unit for him.

Thank you thank you thank you
Should not work but if it does then kudos
BCM would be stopping the starter so that needs VIN changed
Head unit swap them over or get the VIN changed on the one in there.
One way or another you are still going to have to get some programming or VIN changed to get it working 100%