Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LFX Hp Tuners

Sparxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Ive purchased myself an OTR, Catback exhaust and a tune by VCM. However I was never happy with the tune I got so ive now purchased myself an MPVI3 and 100 cell cats. Issue is i dont know how to tune! Ive looked at videos and threads but all talk about tuning at a shop or tuning a V8. My AFR guage is being installed later this month and want as much information as I can get so when its in I can get some more power and driveability (what my previous tune lacked).
Is there any advice and where to start with tuning via hp tuners with an LFX.
Thanks

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
go on the hptuners forum and go to the GM 6cyl section and find all the related threads about your engine and read them all, also take it all with common sense as u can damage ur engine if ur chasing power on the street, get use to the program and make sure its on ''advanced view'' they are set to basic when u first get them so dont show all the tables, if u want more of an understanding of a table u want to adjust then just post on here ur questions if u want i can help if i know the table or if anyone alse does they can help also

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
go on the hptuners forum and go to the GM 6cyl section and find all the related threads about your engine and read them all, also take it all with common sense as u can damage ur engine if ur chasing power on the street, get use to the program and make sure its on ''advanced view'' they are set to basic when u first get them so dont show all the tables, if u want more of an understanding of a table u want to adjust then just post on here ur questions if u want i can help if i know the table or if anyone alse does they can help also

Great advice and it good to see that members are more than willing to help the new fellows learn to tune.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Issue is i dont know how to tune!
I know how to tune both road car and race engines beginning with motorcross bikes running on methanol in the mid '70's to tuning V8 Supercar engines on an engine dyno and everything in between.

However, the greater issue with HP Tuners, is learning the system and what to adjust to provide the engine with the ignition curves and air/fuel ratios it needs at any given load point and throttle opening. Compared with an aftermarket Motec engine management system I'm most familiar with, there's a multitude of adjustment parameters in the OEM system that makes no sense and a change in the wrong parameter, can affect a dozen other parameters.

First and foremost, it's about leaning and understanding the OEM system on the HP Tuner's software platform. There's a couple of blokes I know who are lousy at tuning engines, but they know the OEM system on HP Tuners well and I often call them to ask what to adjust in the system to get the result I'm after. HP Tuners is an interface to access an OEM system with completely different parameters depending on the engine type and manufacturer. A Ford system on HP Tuners is completely different to the GM system unlike aftermarket ECU's, the adjustment parameters are all the same for every engine.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Compared with an aftermarket Motec engine management system I'm most familiar with
Hmmm ... any chance, if I brought my 1980 Volvo down to you, I could get you to program 4 extra cylinders into the M84 and maybe roughly an extra 3.9 litres of cubic capacity?
:)

*edit*
Oh and it'd be nice if you could get it to have fuel consumption as low as the VF1 with the L77 while you're at it ...

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Hmmm ... any chance, if I brought my 1980 Volvo down to you, I could get you to program 4 extra cylinders into the M84 and maybe roughly an extra 3.9 litres of cubic capacity?
Sure, you can program 16 cylinders with an M84. In fact, with a 410 sprint car sized exhaust many run on a stock LS3, should be able to get 900hp with the rev limiter set to 8900rpm!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Sure, you can program 16 cylinders with an M84. In fact, with a 410 sprint car sized exhaust many run on a stock LS3, should be able to get 900hp with the rev limiter set to 8900rpm!
Next time someone disses car manufacturers for doing over-the-air software updates, I'm telling 'em to shut their mouths (/Shaft) given I can get you to add an extra 12 cylinders just with programming!!!!