Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LFX replacement - second hand v crate

SuperBob09

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 series 2
Hi all,

My 2012 Sv6 ve series 2 LFX engine is screwed. It's got to the point that no one really knows 100% why without pulling it all apart, a couple of mates who are mechanics have said not waste money trying to fix it. I'm definitely not a mechanic but I am learning along the way ...... :)

It initially seized whilst I was driving (50km/h) and we couldn't even move the crankshaft even with a 2 ft pole. However, we got it moving by putting oil in the oil filter reservoir so it looks like the oil pump got blocked with **** and starved the engine. However, there is a loud knocking noise in the top left hand side of the engine. There's some tiny shards of metal in the oil filter so it's looking terminal

So it looks like I need to get a second hand engine - ideally from someone people can recommend (I am in Victoria)

Other thought was a crate engine but has anyone everyone bought one and, if so, who was it from?

It's really hard to know who to trust so any help from you would be really appreciated

Cheers

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just call ACM one of your mates should be able to get it at trade price.

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
Likely too long after you've posted...may help someone else...

I've seen a couple of variants...brand new crate engines listed on fleabay....they were about $2700 and $3600...cannot remember the differences. They were listed in Melbourne and after reading those talking about $2K + for a timing chain repair...I could see some value in sourcing a brand new engine...

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Depending were you are in Victoria,
I found a LFX at Jollys wreckers for $550,
They pulled it out, picked it up,
helped put it in my nephews ute,
(as the old one seized while he was driving home from work in peak hour traffic)
Fired up, little bit clackity at the start,
But ran perfectly,
The rest is history.

Last edited: