Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

License converstion interstate

vp_commo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exe
you have to live in the state for three months and prove it in QLD tp gain a QLD licence.
I blew my points in NSW 4 years ago then coincidentally moved to QLD for work, I reapplied and got a full licence, mind you my NSW had not been revoked at that time, but it did get revoked eventually.
When in QLD I received a letter saying I could no longer drive in NSW, until my restriction date had passed, I think I lost my NSW for 3 months.

cheers

Dam

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Its pretty simple, you get a license for the state your in. Some states have shitty rules, others don't (SA is known to be the most lenient atm). So, if you want to move, you deal with it, if not, move later after you have your full license.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
its just stupid.... when i won my appeal the magistrate told me i had my license back as is (due to proceedings you hand in your license at court) you win it back you go to the dmv after to get it back if you win.

Was told i had my license back as is, the dmv said no and told me even tho i won i still get my license regressed and am on it for 3 years like that.

On paper i've had my license continuously for nearly 3 years.... which in all the other states qualifies for a full license.. it has never been disqualified. I dont get how they are working this out and would just like a straight answer.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
its just stupid.... when i won my appeal the magistrate told me i had my license back as is (due to proceedings you hand in your license at court) you win it back you go to the dmv after to get it back if you win.

Was told i had my license back as is, the dmv said no and told me even tho i won i still get my license regressed and am on it for 3 years like that.

On paper i've had my license continuously for nearly 3 years.... which in all the other states qualifies for a full license.. it has never been disqualified. I dont get how they are working this out and would just like a straight answer.

Explain your appeal? If you just 'won' the right to continue driving, thats probably a good behaviour bond, NOT getting your license back as is.

If the chargers were dropped, then you'll just get your full license at the normal time.....

vp_commo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exe

QLD would put you on a probational I beleive, meaning you have less points for about 12 months.

Cheers

Dan

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
firstly let me welcome you to qld, and may i say, enjoy the smart state.

now, ill point out a few facts for ya here to set you straight. when dealing with qld transport, your dealing with a government agency that beleives in equal opertunity, so chances are you could be served by someone with 1 arm, no feet, the iq of a squashed pea, personality of a half eaten mars bar, one ear bigger than the other, a eye hanging out of it's socket in a little goodie bag, one hell of a over bite, the remainding eye will be cross eyed and yellow in colour and, who can only answer the phone and scream "have you seen my base ball"

beleive me, you will never ever ever in your working life, or driving life get straight answers out of a) qld health, b) qld transport or c)department of child services.

so i guess the only way you will find out is to bring in your licence, all your paper work in, make sure it's in nice easy to read writing, with no spelling mistakes, or any torn pages, (the person at the local office who can read struggles turning pages and cant understand the typo of hte). and see what you get.

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
ive been told what hte penalties are if your in a state more then 3 months wihtout transferring, i dont want to risk it

hmmmmm... my mate is up in Brisbane, has been for over 2 years, and both his cars are still rego'd in vic.. and hasnt had a problem.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
hmmmmm... my mate is up in Brisbane, has been for over 2 years, and both his cars are still rego'd in vic.. and hasnt had a problem.

my sis had been in vic (from QLD) for a week b4 being pulled over and warned about her reg plates/licence. two weeks later pulled over again, another week again (3 times in a month) she decided to chage everything over.... i guess its all how lucky you are.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
was in katoomba nsw less than 5 getting warned about my plates and license if i was gonna stay.

SA's licenses and court system are crazy. We apparantly use to have that good behavior thing, what we have now.... well when i went through it was confusing as hell and no one seemed to understand it even the people putting it through.

According to the courts and the magistrate, it was an appeal against license disqualification and I won the right to keep my license, the only penalty being that under any circumstance if i was to have sapol attempt to remove my license I would not be able to challenge it (yes sounds similar to good behavior bond), as I was a nightfill manager at the time, I wasnt hit with the 6 month no driving at night.

I was on p2's at the time and a month away from my full license.

According to the magistrate and everyone at the court, I go in, hand in my license... reason being if i didnt win, they could make sure i wouldnt have a drivers license on me. Conditions of winining according to the manual i was issued with was a nighttime curfew may be imposed, I also would be refunded the money for my license and the next day I would have to go down to the dmv to collect my license again.

Ok now you can make some sense out of that, won my appeal, magistrates harsh words if I was in the same position again I had lost my right of appeal.

I go to the dmv.... im told no refund will be issued. Im then asked to hand over my license and evidence of winning the appeal. I then get told my license has been cancelled, I tell them tehy cant do that i've won my appeal. They tell me yes.... they havnt disqualified me.... they are reissuing the license as under new SA law that had passed just a few days before, my license was to be regressed (I called a lawyer about this after and was told it was a bunch of crap as the magistrate said I didnt have that happen im not meant to, and I didnt lose my license or come back from disqualification so it was the dmv just pushing this crap on to me, fun part was there was no way to appeal it).

I was then told my license was going to be given back to me once i paid $300 then and there. (I had driven there on the card the court had issued me that was only good to drive to the dmv to pickup my license) got told I was going back to p1's and i was going to hold it for 3 years and then 1 year on p2's.

Now according to qld documentation and law, my license has not been removed by an order of australia court. I've called a lawyer and confirmed this, so in their eyes i've held my license since 2007 making that 3 years this year.

My license is also a non restricted license, according to the lawyers at bajada around the corner, in queensland based on the documentation on their website, I qualify for a full license, and pending a refusal on that, an exemptions license.

Now one thing ive learned as stated above..... government departments arent hte smartest and love to follow stupid paperwork ideals. Im just wondering how to best handle this.... transport qld just seem to want to do their best to not answer my questions and keep directing me to an email adress where i keep being told to call the call center where each time I get some arrogant person who will tell me to sell my car, take my luck or that they arent authorised to answer any of my questions. The one thing I do get out of these people is that there is someone above them who makes these decisions based on the information and that i need to contact them.

Yet some how none of them can seem to give me contact details for them.

I cant even get onto anyone about this in NSW or NT... nt's been a million times worse, not one email replied to, all of their call centers just put me on hold.

Im at a loss of how to progress further with this.... im not trying to wrought the system like others do, the state I go to is based on the outcome of this, im going over for work and a change of scenery, not to upgrade my license and come back. Bit hard to go somewhere else and work / start a new if I cant drive anywhere or even own my own car.

ecotec_kid

Hitchhiker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
keep car and rego in the state your in now, get the bills sent to a family members address. we had a barina here (qld) for over 5 years with WA plates and sticker on it, the only problem we ever had was trying to insure it over here and it has a town personalised plate (T-****) and they thought it was a taxi.