Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Limited Slip Differential

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi,

It could also be that someone had accidentally dropped some oil - instant slip. While I think a LSD is a good thing, it will break traction with little warning (at a higher loading) when overloaded. You pays your money and takes your choices.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Do a quick google of the reviews for those tyres, they all say the same thing regarding wet performance. I used to have a full set of them on my statesman, now I only have the fronts since I got some yokohama's for the rear and I'm a lot happier.

After about 6 months they got really noisy, squealed around every corner after I put the lsd in (normal driving, not accelerating hard around corners and round abouts etc.) They were making me look bad lol

Thanks for that - really starting to wonder about the tyres now. Had Yokohama's on my VK many years ago (1990's) - thought they were great.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
LSD is gonna make cornering worse.

Yes mate, that seems to be the consensus - LSD sounds like not worth doing and could make things worse. So will look at replacing the tyres with something decent next time. For the remainder of the life in these, I am now aware and will be super careful especially in the wet.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Blake

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Oil slick had crossed my mind too, mate. When it happened it just seemed too easy, like I had suddenly hit ice. Was moving pretty much at walking speed.

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Round a bouts are prone to being extremely slippery especially ones where trucks use a lot, slight diesel spills from tank, oil from breather lines etc.. So I would be more inclined to say that a slick patch of road is what occurred !!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Maybe you can clarify the "lost the back end"? To me that means actually loosing it i.e spun out. To me a small step sideways is just a woopsie :D

LSD is gonna make cornering worse.

Depends on the driving style and LSD type/condition used.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah, but in the scenario of wet roads going around a tight off camber corner, an lsd will help to break things loose rather than make things better IMO :p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not with a standard Holden LSD. If it does than you must have the crappiest tyres in the world on the car.

My VN doesn't step out and it's got a fairly tight LSD unless I want it too and I have some nasty as off camber corners/round-a-bouts where I live and plenty of the wet stuff to help things along nicely.