Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LLT to VF LFX engine swap requirements?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
So do paper.
Paper won’t foul MAF sensors and paper filters to a greater micron. That’s why they don’t flow quite the same air flow but those differences are trivial.

I ran oiled K&N in my VP for over a decade. I’m not biased. It’s just that in hind sight, being trendy verses using a better filter now has less meaning to me than when I was younger.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Paper filter seals just the same.
BD1B6DFF-85BF-4F3F-B6CD-435BD3AACFE5.jpeg

79563E28-09D6-4CC2-A43B-73A952C94A7A.jpeg

That’s from the VZ (just dug it out of a box) but the (our) VE was the same.

Last edited:

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
Paper filter seals just the same.
View attachment 247648

View attachment 247649
That’s from the VZ (just dug it out of a box) bit the VE was the same.
Ah, the one I had didn’t have a rubber seal. It was just one we had laying around. Certainly not as high quality as that one. Yeah I can see that filter would be better in the long run than a high flow K&N.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I did 10’s of thousands of Kms on gravel roads in remote places in WA in the VP. In hind sight the oiled filter wasn’t the best choice. Often the intake would have WA’s infamous red dust stuck inside the intake pipe thanks to the oil from the filter. May well have been the demise of the motor in the end.

When I worked on mines, the fitters on the fitter truck would pull the paper filters from the various equipment and machinery and blow them out with compressed air. Kept it all tip top.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I read there was a lot more work involved than a standard swap,
Ok, did you try the LFX ECU etc etc first and it didnt work ?
They're basically the same engine, minus the ancillaries, exhaust, integrated manifolds, and tiny bump in compression. It's why I just said to throw it in and try running it on the LLT ECU.

If you really wanted the "LFX benefits" (though I really doubt there's a lot in it) you'd be better off getting the LFX swap tuned on the LLT ECU, you'll get more out of the tune than swapping to another factory ECU. You'd also probably have the option of going flex fuel in that scenario quite easily.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
They're basically the same engine, minus the ancillaries, exhaust, integrated manifolds, and tiny bump in compression. It's why I just said to throw it in and try running it on the LLT ECU.

If you really wanted the "LFX benefits" (though I really doubt there's a lot in it) you'd be better off getting the LFX swap tuned on the LLT ECU, you'll get more out of the tune than swapping to another factory ECU. You'd also probably have the option of going flex fuel in that scenario quite easily.

That’s very interesting, and I understand they are bassicly the same motor, but they are not physically.

Because I would assume it would not be up to Aus pollution standards with various items not connected/operational.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
but they are not physically.
They are the same physically. Literally the only difference between them physically is .2 compression and no exhaust manifolds. The engine is from a newer car, so still complies. The car is running it's factory ECU, injection system, and pollution gear (in exactly the same way), all with no modification, so still complies.

Ignoring those points, TBH I'm fairly sure those two engines fall under the same Emissions standards anyway and the only reason GM went to integrated manifolds was to cut costs and make it easier to turbocharge.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
I believe in the forum my brother found the guy wasn’t swapping the fuel system like I did. He tuned the LLT ecu to run with the LFX fuel systems, which would probably give you all the benefits of the LFX without the hassle of ECU swapping. But of course tuning can be costly.