Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LLT to VF LFX engine swap requirements?

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
That’s very interesting, and I understand they are bassicly the same motor, but they are not physically.

Because I would assume it would not be up to Aus pollution standards with various items not connected/operational.
The block is identical, although the heads are redesigned to accomodate the integrated exhaust ports, new plastic intake manifold and bigger injectors. I believe the cams are also a little different. But if you swap everything I did they run basically identical to the LLT.

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
It would probably be beneficial for the community if I made a dedicated forum post outlining how I did the swap. It’s shocking how little info is available out there considering how (relatively) easy it was to do. I always figured it couldn’t be too hard if the shop in QLD were able to do the same swap daily for only $4000 including the engine. Not sure if this is exactly how they do it but it’s probably the simplest way.

I think a lot more people would do this swap if only there were some decent info out there.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Unfortunately it was a simple matter of the air filter not sealing properly. I just used a cheap paper filter for a service and only found out later it wasn’t sitting properly. I was doing a lot of driving on country dirt roads at the time and it had ingested a lot of dust which scored two cylinders and led to reduced compression and very high oil usage . I should’ve been checking more often than I did, but it ran out quite quickly. I’ve never missed a service, but from now on I’ll be doing shorter service intervals and checking over everything more often. Also be using a proper oiled K&N air filter from now on.
That's a shame... Just make sure to check everything at least twice to make sure everything is working properly...

Last edited:

LachieKb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
It would probably be beneficial for the community if I made a dedicated forum post outlining how I did the swap. It’s shocking how little info is available out there considering how (relatively) easy it was to do. I always figured it couldn’t be too hard if the shop in QLD were able to do the same swap daily for only $4000 including the engine. Not sure if this is exactly how they do it but it’s probably the simplest way.

I think a lot more people would do this swap if only there were some decent info out there.
I’ve posted a how-to in the how-to forum that goes into more detail if anyone wants more info on how to do the swap.