Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Locked left rear

RedMaloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF Maloo R8
Hi guys, long time stalker here and now newby, I’m wondering if you may have heard of a solution to an issue I am having with my Gen F Malloo. I was having an issue with what i percieved to be the park brake disengaging. Intermittently has been refusing to release. And worse still the brake slammed on at low speed with no input from me! Tho now won’t release at all, amazingly able to drive in reverse… so I have been able to get the car back into my driveway where I have the car on Jack stands and can rotate the right rear wheel in both direction freely, the left rear I can rotate in reverse, but going forward it will not budge….. Not sure how the hill hold system works, I’m sus on it….. when I rock the rear left wheel back and forth, as i said rotates freely reverse, and then a definate "clang" going forward, only a little forard movement befor the clunk. but anyway what you reckon? Cheers, Dave

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
It's a bitch of a thing that electronic park brake.

I've had issues with mine doing exactly what yours has been doing since day 1.

Holden won't acknowledge it is an issue, even though the thing will self engage while driving at under 30kph..

You need to do perform a manual cable release. Which is linked in another thread. I'll find it for you.

The VF/WN HSV GenF workshop Manual can be found within post #9 of the Genuien GM Service Manual thread .

Download it and look at <brakes> <Park Brake> <Repair Instructions> <Park Brake Cable Adjuster Disabling> & <Park Brake Cable Aduster Enabling>

A quick rundown of the process is:
  • turn on ignition but don't start the engine
  • put gearbox into drive (auto) or neutral (manual)
  • press and hold the brake pedal (don't take foot off brake pedal until this procedure is finished)
  • press and hold the handbrake (EPB) button for about 5 seconds
  • observe the park brake lamp in the instrument cluster
  • when the park brake lamp flashes, release then immediately press and releae the park brake (EPB) button
    the park brake cable tension if fully released
  • take foot off park brake pedal
Now that the park brake cable tension is released, the park brake shoes can be adjusted to be between 189.6-189.8mm at their widest point. This mechanical adjustment is done by lifting the vehicle and twiddling the park brake adjuster behind the rear disc brake, see <Park Brake Adjustment>.

With the park brake cable tension released and rear of car off the ground, rear wheels should spin freely... It does not seem like a complex thing to do but that depends on your skill level. Just be sure to corretly supported the vehicle (use stands not hydraulic jack) if checking the park brake discs, etc..

As a final step, the cable tension can be set and the EPS module calibratied by doing the following.
  • turn on ignition but don't start the engine
  • press and hold the brake pedal (don't take foot off brake pedal until this procedure is finished)
  • put gearbox into drive (auto) or neutral (manual)
  • momentary lift then release the park brake (EPB) switch (apply park brake)
  • momentary press and release the park brake (EPB) switch (releae the park brake)
  • repeat the above apply/release steps an additional 4 times
  • the EPB module will be calibrated
If the park brake shoes are OK and adjusted correctly, just doing the cable adjuster disabling/enabling may be enough though i'd check the park brake shoes to be sure...

And if the park brake cables are streched beyong the capability of the EPB control module to 'calibrate' i'd think you'd need new park brake cables which seems like a bigger job.

I'd simply try the disbling/enabling process as a first step and see how that works out as it's a simple car on ground process...

Warning: i have not tried this GM procedure so use at your own risk.

RedMaloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF Maloo R8
It's a bitch of a thing that electronic park brake.

I've had issues with mine doing exactly what yours has been doing since day 1.

Holden won't acknowledge it is an issue, even though the thing will self engage while driving at under 30kph..

You need to do perform a manual cable release. Which is linked in another thread. I'll find it for you.
I have read though that thread, my thoughts are if it is a cable adjusting issue, then, why can i rotate the hub in reverse?

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I'm the second owner of my WN, and the original owner had two epb switches replaced under warranty. This is what Holden said was the issue..

I believe it's a high resistance issue with the epb motor itself, heating up and causing insufficient current to flow through to fully disengage the park brake.

I've done several adjustments on the park brake shoes, checked the cable, replaced another park brake switch and relays, all with little to no long term success. The only thing I haven't done is replace the actual epb module as it's located on top of the diff and need to drop the rear cradle to get to the bastard.

I haven't used it for over a year now, but every now and then I'll jump in the car and take off and it will engage. Doesn't even show the epb as active on the dash.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I have read though that thread, my thoughts are if it is a cable adjusting issue, then, why can i rotate the hub in reverse?
No idea, I can also reverse, with a little squealing going on. The thread above will tell you the procedure to release the park brake so you can drive your car.

1: Turn on ignition but don't start the engine (No foot on the brake, and hold start button down until all your dash is lit up)

2: Put the gearbox into drive (auto) or neutral (manual)

3: Press and hold the brake pedal (don't take your foot off brake pedal until this procedure is finished)

4: Press and hold the handbrake (EPB) button for about 5 seconds
observe the park brake lamp in the instrument cluster
when the park brake lamp flashes, release it, then immediately press and release the park brake (EPB) button.

the park brake cable tension should be fully released now.

RedMaloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF Maloo R8
Cherers Jeda, Done all that..... rhs spins freely in both directions, this is something else i feel...

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Thank Christ I don't drive under 30kph