Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Locksmith Questions

tmerivale

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn exec
i dunno, anything electrical seems to stuff up eventually, i have a vn exec, i stripped a vn calais that i bought, but im not interested in all the extra electrics, windows locking etc etc how do you guys feel about this after your problems with the battery on your keys dying? my dad has a vectra with keyless entry, and it will open when it feels like it, you can press it 100 times and it would be lucky to open half a dozen times. i cant see the point when it is so much dearer for the keys that will always need replacing where as your older cars dont need replacing until the key is worn.

i hope this doesnt seem like im hijacking the thread

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Hey, guys. I've been a locksmith for almost 10 years now and have seen a lot of misinformation regarding commodore ignitions, locks and keys, even on this forum.

Just want to give you guys a chance to ask any questions and am more than happy to clear a few things up.

Just don't ask about breaking in or anything like that. Not gonna help anyone steal a car.

Welcome to JC mate.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I got a new barrel a short time ago on the VS and now sometimes when I take the key out the barrel doesn`t pop out so the steering lock can engage.
I turn the wheel back and forth and push the barrel with finger and it pops out and locks.
Help.

Maci

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Statesman
I got a new barrel a short time ago on the VS and now sometimes when I take the key out the barrel doesn`t pop out so the steering lock can engage.

im experiencing EXACTLY the same thing in my VX, barrel is only a week old and yesterday i realised i cant get the steering wheel to lock.

anything i can do? or do i give it back to the locksmith to fix up?
(a local locksmith provided and rekeyed the barrel for me and fitted it all for $130, cost didnt matter, barrel was probably another turn from having a complete seizure; took 10mins to get it going to get it to him.)

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
I turn the wheel back and forth and push the barrel with finger and it pops out and locks.
Help.

Spray some dry lube down the barrell. (NOT WD or RP7! Wet lubes stay wet inside the lock and attract dirt which can damage your lock.) When pulling your key out wiggle it around as you pull. After a few times of doing this it will start to free up and pop out more easily.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you I give it a go.

Juzzie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
hey mate,
putting door trims back on a vt berlina. put the trim on door handle ect... done the screw where the lock jig is at the top and went to put the plastic bit on and jammed it down. how can i fix???!!!! :S
cheers

knightwolf

BOG STOCK VZ SV6...
Reaction score
Website
www.holdencommodoreclub.com
Members Ride
Red Hot 2006 VZ SV6 "DSTR01"
That price sounds about right. Seen the price range from 95 to 150.

With the key head it sounds like he is using a Yazaki or Com-code module to program the key. I have found in my experience that anything VX or above will have this problem unless the key is programmed with an on-board programmer. I have always used an on board and never had any trouble.

In regards to #2, you need to introduce the key to the car first. You do this by
1. Open the car with your old key.
2. Insert the new key into the ignition and turn to ON. NOT START!
3. Wait 5-10 seconds
4. Remove key and turn 180 degrees
5. Insert key and start car.

Hey guys im also a locksmith, haven been one for as long as "Puppet The Sock Carcass" but have been specializing in automotive work. but i don't want you to think that im trying to hijack your thread im keen to learn as much new stuff as possibly.

With the way you said to introduce keys is a lil different to the way i was taught-
I was shown this way-
1: open car manually with new key
2: put key in ignition
3: start the car
4: let it idle for approx 20 seconds
5: turn off, get out of car
6: close door an try the buttons

as in the above post it seems that you have to keys programed to the same number an they are conflicting each other, an issue that we have at work when we use our RW4, but apparently there new update is ment to prevent this from happening. Programed both keys from the one supplied an when we go out to the car one works fine, then we introduce the second key an all works good but the first key no longer works,, we got a new machine now were we can pick the key numbers.

Hey guys, bit of a thread dig but does this still work? I have a 2006 VZ SV6 and the battery went in my key head, I bought a new one off ebay and tried several ways to re code it but not the one you guys have suggested...

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
Hey guys im also a locksmith, haven been one for as long as "Puppet The Sock Carcass" but have been specializing in automotive work. but i don't want you to think that im trying to hijack your thread im keen to learn as much new stuff as possibly.

I have been lockie for 27 years and still learn new stuff.......you guys on the Locksmith Trader Forum?

sent from Dynamic Locksmiths Mobile using Tapatalk