Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Long distance drive planned - what maintenance to do?

shamma020

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Hey all,

In December I'm driving from Perth to Sydney, I'm just wondering what preventative maintenance is suggested to do before a long drive in potentially hot days! My mechanic said maybe a coolant flush, o2 sensors..

I'd like to do as much as I can myself to save the coin, I don't know a lot but can pick it up pretty easily with a good how-to. I'd also like to improve fuel economy as much as I can now because the car will be fully laden (wagon with all our stuff). So will change air filter, fuel filter, run some injector cleaner and probably clean the maf sensor/throttle body. Is it worth a coolant flush and changing o2 sensors? Any other advice?

Cheers guys! Looking forward to getting under the car and making her purr.

Shamma

Manifestingproblems

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II
Hey mate, I'm no guru but the macee plenum and manifold spacers can improve fuel economy a little bit, that's a reasonably cheap mod ($300) but don't hold me on that ;)

Also look into a pod filter? They can improve the intake volume (of cold air) and matched with the spacers, I would say you'd be able to maximize the extra space given by the spacers in return would (maybe) give you a bit more km per tank?
But anyone to back up my no brainier claims and give me a few kicks, is welcome too I guess, :D

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Give the car a full service , new plugs and leads , filters and fluids, take spare serpintne belt maybe a extra spare wheel , extra coolant wouldn't hurt either , good luck , drive safe .

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Hey mate, I'm no guru but the macee plenum and manifold spacers can improve fuel economy a little bit, that's a reasonably cheap mod ($300) but don't hold me on that ;)

Also look into a pod filter? They can improve the intake volume (of cold air) and matched with the spacers, I would say you'd be able to maximize the extra space given by the spacers in return would (maybe) give you a bit more km per tank?
But anyone to back up my no brainier claims and give me a few kicks, is welcome too I guess, :D

0zXY4ay.gif

Give the car a full service , new plugs and leads , filters and fluids, take spare serpintne belt maybe a extra spare wheel , extra coolant wouldn't hurt either , good luck , drive safe .

Pretty much exactly what commodore655 said, I'd also suggest new wiper blades & a spare headlight bulb if you're driving at night.

Cheers

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Accidental double* Stupid JC

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Don't over think it, if the car is reliable now then there isn't a need to suddenly go changing a whole lot of stuff.

A good service wouldn't hurt and neither will a coolant flush but get all these things done well before hand so that if something does occur after the work it will happen before you get into the journey.

LOL, I just had a look, that's like 4000km's. Make sure the tyres are in good condition and also ensure the spare is good as most people only discover the spare is flat when they pull it out to use it.....

Some spare fluids wouldn't hurt but more importantly before you head out each day take some time to check over the car (oil, coolant, tyres etc). much easier to catch a minor issue before it becomes a major issue out on the road.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Spare Jerry can of fuel Just incase.

If you are going to do a coolant flush before you go on a long drive just make sure its done by someone who knows how to bleed the system probably otherwise you will be worse off.

Like HoZy i would also suggest you steer clear of any mace "upgrades"

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Apart from what everyone else has said, I'd replace the heater and radiator hoses if they haven't been changed in a while. Taking a spare dfi module and alternator brushes is a good idea.

Also, good roadside assist is a must. Just make sure they still cover you in all states.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Apart from what everyone else has said, I'd replace the heater and radiator hoses if they haven't been changed in a while. Taking a spare dfi module is a good idea.

Also, good roadside assist is a must. Just make sure they still cover you in all states.

i used to take a dfi module with me when i went on long trips but that was only because my car had a history of burning them out.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
tow a spare engine on a trailer with you

/thread