Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Long Rang Tank into a VK

CNWEEP

Reaction score
Hi all, I have done lots of research and found many posts on the web on how to install a later model VN-VS long range tank into an earlier Commy.
Most if not all are on VL’s but I could not find anything on a VK.

I have myself a long rang tank for what I believe to be a VQ Stats.
I know the straps have to be modded, and the filler neck shortened, so that’s no biggy,

What I do see as a roadblock is the sender unit from my VK is the “Screw” Type and the one on the Larger tank is the 5 or 6 bolt type.
I’m just sussing out what others may have done to overcome this.
I’m not interested in the Internal tank pump, that will be illuminated, I’m more concerned about the Sender wiring for the gauge so it reads right.
Anyone have any info that might help me?

Cheers.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Mate Use the sender unit that comes with the tank to get full articulation of the float and an accurate reading. The fuel gauge wiring should plug in. Don't forget to plug the return line. The vent lines go over the chasis rail. Makes things a bit more difficult.

CNWEEP

Reaction score
Thanks man, that is the plan, but the plug on my VK is a 3 pin with a 4th wire which is an external spade, then the plug of the larger tank is a 4 pin.
I'll try get some pix tomorrow, As mentioned I'm not worried about the internal pump, I can visualy see what wired they are, I just want to make sure I use the right wire to work the gauge.

Cheers.

CNWEEP

Reaction score
Ohh quick question, My engine is carby, so there is no return line, well there is but not at the carby it goes the emissions canister .

Now I know that the sender needs the return as that is what keeps the swirl pot full, and prevents surging when you have low fuel and turning corners.

I was thinking of 3 options –

1) Just T" piecing the pump and run one line to the return on the sender and the other to the main line (Holley Blue) (I'm guessing this won’t work, as it won’t build pressure at the carb??)

2) I have a spare low press Facet pump I could just "T" piece at the sender OUT of the tank and pump it from the tank straight back into the return on the sender..(Again thinking this may cause the same problem as above)

3) Probably the right way would be to get a low pressure reg with a return like this one - Mallory Billet 3 Port Carbutetor Fuel Pressure Regulator 3 12 PSI MA4309 in Campbellfield, VIC | eBay

Cheers

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Just another tip, the later filler necks never quite fit right, cut the one off your old tank and use that on the newer tank the bend will be perfect.

Scott

CNWEEP

Reaction score
Thanks Scott, I forgot to mention that mod as well.
Cheers.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
My VK V8 as standard had an electric in tank lift pump as well as the mechanical fuel pump at the engine. Maybe you can swap out the in tank high pressure electric pump with a low pressure one.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Or just fit an aftermarket adjustable regulator to return the fuel back to the tank and eliminate the swirl pot issue.

CNWEEP

Reaction score
Yep that is the plan , to get a Mallory or Holley 3 port reg with Return, but my biggest issue is the wiring at the moment for the float sender.
Once I get a chance I will take a closer look to see what is going on. I'm not worried about the pump wires at this stage, as they are easy to sort out.

Cheers guys, if anyone has any info on the wiring that would be a great help.