Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's house build 5 years in the making

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
X2 love it.
Big challenge, never built a new home, last one was a full reno , did everything myself with help from my father , except for electrics and bench tops, very challenging and rewarding

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the rail along the front of the house today. Yesterday I fixed up some of the deck. I had to replace one board as it was a tad short. I aso had some temp offcuts in the middle of the deck where the temp downpipe went through. I also managed to finish the last down pipe today and mounted onto the post. Next week I hope to fit the short intermediate posts between the structural ones. I also have a 240 board-rail that goes along the other edge on the side facing the street and mountains where we can chill and have a beer while sitting on a couple of stools. Hoping i might also get time to sand the bog on the veranda frames ready for paint.
20171209_145434_resized.jpg
20171209_145520_resized.jpg
20171209_145540_resized.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nah Pete. Slow going for a bit yet. I have run out of funds, about $2.5k short. I have my brother coming grom SA in three weeks for my wedding. He is a qualified builder. He is going to help me with the last of the balustrade rail which doubles as a bar to sit at and have a beer. Hopefully also get the last four corner flashings on while he is there too.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Great read and awesome job. I'd never take on anything this huge but my hat goes off to you for dreaming it and making it a reality.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
That balustrade rail /bar sounds like a great idea.
Wedding, now that sounds like the big challenge / hard work =reward, nice one , life's so much better when you get to share it with that special someone and friends

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20180220_141138.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the outdoor bar installed a couple of weeks ago. Also started on the balustrade cable, managed to get one short run completed. Hoping to get some help in a few weeks to finish the balustrade wire. Then pretty much only have the laserlite over the deck and some doors on the linen press and pantry to go.
20180207_171722_resized.jpg

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hoping to get some more balustrade wire installed this weekend. Have to chat to my neighbour and see if he will give me a hand. Thinking about the cheapest way but still look good to finish the linen press. I can get white coated 16mm mdf that looks nice and is like 50 bucks a 2.4 × 1.2 sheet from the joinery supplies. My bro in law works there and can get the sheets cut up at the joiners as well as drill the hinge holes. Last time it cost me a pack of Cc and dry for the drilling the hinges on a few cupboard doors. I need to get the veranda roof on but need 1800 bucks to get the builder out as the laser lite is a bit over a grand. Looked at getting a credit card to fund the roof but not sure if they will knock me back because I don't earn enough. Already was declined a few months ago and too many knock backs reflects bad on your credit rating. I did apply for a top up on the mortgage but not sure if they actually recorded the application or if they just run the figures to let me me know i wasn't earning enough. Hoping it was the latter as i had a slight pay increase which means I might be approved. Trouble is i hate the idea of paying 500 bucks in fees to borrow a mesely 3k. Might have a 200 buck bill waiting for me at home once i get my mail because my building permit run out last Dec. I wad hoping to get the house ready for sign off before they sent me the letter.