Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's latest, 955 Triumph Sprint ST

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Picked this up tonight after work. 2000, 955 Sprint. Have been on a short ride and compared to my RD400 this thing is a completely different animal. The RD is a bike that weighs 120kg with a full tank. The RD has tight steering and feels good. This new bike is a heap wider and a lot heavier and different steering and higher off the ground. It's going to take me some time to get used of it.

Must have been over three years since I have even ridden a bike. The test ride I was really nervous and didn't open it up. On the way home I sat on the speed limit. It seems to be revving quite low at the speed limit, so once I suss out things a bit I reckon I might go one tooth down on the front sprocket.

I will do an oil change in the coming weeks and fill it with 15w 50 as recommended and a new filter.

I am hoping to pick up some leathers tomorrow after work. Plan is to take the bike, as it will be less than $10 in petrol as apposed to $20 or so in BT.

1711449951017.png

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Picks up leathers….
IMG_6287.jpeg

Mrs Losh: “Um. Dear. I think you went to the wrong shop”

@losh1971: “I wasn’t at the wrong shop. Grrrr”

Mrs Losh: “Oh my!…”

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Triumph Sprint ............... MMMmmmm ...... ( like, as in doughnuts )

About 10 years ago, my sensibility prevailed over lust, and I didn't buy one, after I had a longish ride and thought about how there was other ways to break bones and kill myself.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Picked this up tonight after work. 2000, 955 Sprint. Have been on a short ride and compared to my RD400 this thing is a completely different animal. The RD is a bike that weighs 120kg with a full tank. The RD has tight steering and feels good. This new bike is a heap wider and a lot heavier and different steering and higher off the ground. It's going to take me some time to get used of it.

Must have been over three years since I have even ridden a bike. The test ride I was really nervous and didn't open it up. On the way home I sat on the speed limit. It seems to be revving quite low at the speed limit, so once I suss out things a bit I reckon I might go one tooth down on the front sprocket.

I will do an oil change in the coming weeks and fill it with 15w 50 as recommended and a new filter.

I am hoping to pick up some leathers tomorrow after work. Plan is to take the bike, as it will be less than $10 in petrol as apposed to $20 or so in BT.

View attachment 265961
Is it out of oil? There's no puddle?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hmmm, went for a decent ride tonight. I'm not hugely impressed with the HP. I was expecting it to pull hard with fairly light throttle. I haven't got it much above 4.5k but I was expecting a little more grunt for what is basically a 1000cc bike.

I have looked up the specs and max hp is over 6k and is only 108, on a bike that weighs just over 200kg.

Taking off it feels like I really need about 3k to get it moving. Again I thought light throttle would be all I need.

I think I'm going to need to look at ways to get the torque up. A tune will help I reckon but I don't have a local tuner. May have to wait until I can get to SA and see my tuner and see what he can do.

I think for now I will have to use it as a tourer and commuter until I get some spare coin to do some performance upgrades.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Been looking in the manual about what it takes to do a service on these and TBH I'm feeling pretty out of my depth as I don't really know what to look for. I could soon dump the oil and replace the filter but that might be about my skill level. Seriously considering booking it in for a proper service at a bike shop, but am scared to think of what it will cost. I only paid $3,300 and it sounds like a full service could be in the vicinity of $1000. Just a filter and oil change is over $100 if I do it myself. So not sure I will really save much.

Hope to ring a bike shop tomorrow and get an idea on cost to give it a once-over. I'm hoping to find out the old service records from the bike shop a PO used to take it to. Bloke I bought it off hadn't had it serviced as he only bought it six - eight weeks ago.

Kinda feeling like it might be good to book it in for an initial service just so I know if anything needs doing. I can probably replace parts if I find out they are worn from someone who knows what they are doing.

On another note I went to buy the leathers tonight and they were too small. Ended up buying a decent pair of RJays boots and a wet weather overalls for $30 all up. I'll keep an eye out for a SH jacket but so far what I've seen for sale is too small, as I think I might need a XXL.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Priced up a service today and it will be $800 give or take. It was done about 10k ago too, so definitely due. I'm thinking I might give it an oil and filter change myself and then book it in for a service in a few months time once I get a few other things out of the way.

Edit, found out it was serviced 6k ago after a second call to the bike shop.

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Edit, found out it was serviced 6k ago after a second call to the bike shop.
Ring the bike shop again, maybe the story will change again, that it was serviced 2k ago? ;)

Get the exhaust changed, to a more free flowing one (less restrictions). Probably won't be legal?
Probably need a tune?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Ring the bike shop again, maybe the story will change again, that it was serviced 2k ago? ;)

Get the exhaust changed, to a more free flowing one (less restrictions). Probably won't be legal?
Probably need a tune?

I thought the aim of buying the bike was to save money, as in ‘spend less’? :cool: