Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's latest, 955 Triumph Sprint ST

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Going to ride to work tomorrow.
I'd test it locally tonight, for 1/2 an hour or so?
You don't won't to be caught out tomorrow riding to work & it breaks down (perish the thought).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
11am start tomorrow, I'll leave plenty of time in case I need to head back home and grab BT.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It does feel pretty ok @Lex . I have given it a good hard yank and it didn't fall off.

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Fitted some Plus 200 Narva's tonight. Rather big job compared to replacing bulbs on the VE. I've run into two minor issues, one I don't know what this little LED looking thing inside. It had two tiny pins coming out of it. It's like it's some sort of sensor. No idea if I need it or not? If I do I need a whole new light assembly as the two tiny pins broke off from being old and brittle. The other minor issue is I need some replacement screws for the fairing screen. I ordered some about five-six weeks ago and I'm still waiting for them all to come in. I think they might have two in. And I really just need two for now. Getting the front end off was nearly an hour so I don't want to spend another 50 minutes putting it back together only to spend another 1.5hrs to replace two screws that can only be accessed with the front fairings removed. The others are in behind two side trims that are held on with a screw on each end and easily accessible. Anyway I don't quite know what to do about the light, as it will likely be very expensive to replace.

20240615_211249.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hmmmm, tried to find one online and only broken SH units come up..I think if available a new one will be well over $100, for something that seems to do very little.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just found one in Lithuania for $120, still SH but looks to be fully intact.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Fitted some Plus 200 Narva's tonight. Rather big job compared to replacing bulbs on the VE. I've run into two minor issues, one I don't know what this little LED looking thing inside. It had two tiny pins coming out of it. It's like it's some sort of sensor. No idea if I need it or not? If I do I need a whole new light assembly as the two tiny pins broke off from being old and brittle. The other minor issue is I need some replacement screws for the fairing screen. I ordered some about five-six weeks ago and I'm still waiting for them all to come in. I think they might have two in. And I really just need two for now. Getting the front end off was nearly an hour so I don't want to spend another 50 minutes putting it back together only to spend another 1.5hrs to replace two screws that can only be accessed with the front fairings removed. The others are in behind two side trims that are held on with a screw on each end and easily accessible. Anyway I don't quite know what to do about the light, as it will likely be very expensive to replace.

View attachment 269248

At first sight, it does look like an LED. The flat on one side is commonly used to indicate which pin is the cathode, so it is probably an LED. It’d be easy enough to replace, but do some tests before pulling/digging it out. But before doing anything to the (possible) LED, can you find the cable/wires that would have ran to it anywhere nearby on the bike? If you can find the wires, then you could fit an LED and see what happens.

You should still be able to power that LED up even though the pins are sheered off. With two very pointy multimeter probes you’ll be able to make enough contact to test it. I’d be injecting about 20mA in to it and seeing if it lights up, and what colour it is. Don’t apply a voltage source to it directly as it will probably need current limited supply. A 470 ohm resistor and a 12 V supply will give you about 29 mA for testing it. Also, yo7 could try your multimeter on ohms range and see if it lights. Some multimeters will put out enough current to dimly light an LED (but many won’t), but it’s worth a try as it’d be easy to do. Or pop in to your local Jaycar store during a quiet time and them might be able to help you?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Went to the bike shop today armed with the light and to pick up the visor screws I had ordered a month or so ago. He said the LED is just a type of parker light and is not needed. I have since put some heat shrink over the end of the two cables so it can't accidently arc out and plugged the harness back in. I figure if the harness is there and myself or someone else feels like replacing the LED at some point then the harness will not be missing.

So went to put it mostly back together tonight, and run into some problems, ie, missing parts. Whoever replaced the visor has left out two rubber screw-backs, which is not the end of the world as they won't be expensive and I've removed two from another spot which is easily accessible and put them in place of the missing two, which is fairing off to replace.

However, someone has been in their and played because there is also missing grommet that goes over a locating post on the fairing. Leaving it off could mean the post eventually snaps off from movement. So emailed the bike shop and have asked them to order me a grommet and two screw backs.

So while the bike is kinda off the road waiting for Triumph to replace the fuel line adapter, it could still be ridden, if needed but without these three parts I can't put it back together. So at a guess it's at least a two week wait for parts to arrive. Some people should not work on cars or bikes, or they should learn how to do a job right the first time.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the call yesterday that my fuel line adapter had come in at Triumph. They asked if I needed it done urgently or if I could give up my parts for another bloke who needed his fixed urgently and could I wait another three weeks for more parts to arrive? I said sure as it sounded like this bloke was going to be stuck without his bike. So parts are on order again. I figured I have to wait for a grommet and some screw backs to come anyway so what's another three weeks, besides an extra $30 a week in petrol, just like it was before I had the bike, hahahaha.