Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's New Ride

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
images

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No real progress yet as just no time. Was meant to be working on boat today but I was asked to mow father in laws place, which took around two hours or so. Then had mate and his wife visit and that was another 2.5hrs gone. Leaving in an hour to go to my work function so now no time, as needed to wash and vac BT.
I did manged to buy some materials last night though, like two life jackets for the knee board and biscuit. Plus the gel coat filler for the few minor fibreglass repairs, and some sandpaper and other consumables to hopefully work on the Swift tomorrow.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Fixed a patch in the hull that looked rather untidy as it had no filler used after the patch was applied. Looks a lot better now. I need to sand it at some point just to finish it off. I also raised the side boat runners as they were too low and placing pressure on the rollers, which could have damaged the hull if let go too long, just because of their shape and the hull being quite flat in the middle - back.
I thought 90% I'm gonna snap the bolts but surprisingly the MAP torch and being careful with the shifter loosened them.
The putty I bought from SCA is perfect for the job too. I was sceptical but it went on smooth, with plenty of time to work it without it going off, and it's white, which means I can return the colour to Bunnings when I have time.

Next weekend or if there is a day I get away from work early enough I will putty up the not so pretty repairs to the dash where there was once gauges I'd say.

1670733166472.jpeg

1670733199080.jpeg

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
No real progress yet as just no time. Was meant to be working on boat today but I was asked to mow father in laws place, which took around two hours or so. Then had mate and his wife visit and that was another 2.5hrs gone. Leaving in an hour to go to my work function so now no time, as needed to wash and vac BT.
I did manged to buy some materials last night though, like two life jackets for the knee board and biscuit. Plus the gel coat filler for the few minor fibreglass repairs, and some sandpaper and other consumables to hopefully work on the Swift tomorrow.
Ha ha, good to see that you've got your priorities right, looking after the in laws. Happy wife happy life.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the hull repair sanded and primed tonight. Also skimmed the bodgy looking repair that likely had gauges in them at some point with the gel filler. It will need a sand and another thin skim, hopefully after work tomorrow. Found a couple more screw holes that will need filler tomorrow all going well.
Decided I will mix a batch of white enamel with some hardener and blow that over the hull repair and also over the main dash repair. I won't bother to paint the screw holes as they will blend in enough with the putty being white. I think if I started painting every little spot I will end up painting the entire boat, which is not needed.
If I can I really want to get the repairs painted by Wed eve as I only want to do one mix and the filler needs sealing if it's submerged.
Ideally I will have all the filler repairs done and painted by Thursday as I'd love to have a quick run on te Tamar this weekend all going well. May or may not happen though as I may not have a second person to help launch and retrieve but we'll see.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Been working on Taylor most days after work this week. Tonight I finished with the filler. I sanded it all down in the dash area and applied some spray putty. I need sand it back, hopefully tomorrow. Then hopefully a coat of primer and a blow over with some enamel two pack Friday night after work I'm hoping the white I have in the shed is close enough to the existing paint. I had it left over I think from the old ute. It should be a slight off-white, which might be good as the existing paint has possibly yellowed a tad from the sun.
At the end of the day it doesn't have to be perfect but I'm fussy so I want it good still. Ideally the painting will be finished by Friday night that way on the weekend I can hopefully strip off the terrible paint job done on the windscreen frame and get it back to bare alloy instead of black that had no etch underneath so is all scratching off.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Done some paint around the dash using acrylic. Came out ok but the main vertical area I was working on got a couple of runs as I didn't use the gun and I didn't use a hair dryer while painting to help it dry quickly while it was being applied. No real issue with acrylic as I can rub it out and skim coat it tomorrow. The enamel two pack I was going to use has changed colour from sitting in the can and it was too creamy to blend in. As it is the rattle pack is very close and will do.

1671097714535.jpeg

This area had six screw holes that I filled, it has come up pretty reasonable.

1671097794276.jpeg

This is the spot with three runs that will shrink a lot overnight and should be ready to rub out tomorrow night. If the wind drops out tomorrow I will paint the patch on the hull, but with that I will use enamel two pack as the hull is pretty yellow anyway and won't look odd with the off-white paint. Plus I need some durability under there and acrylic just won't cut it.

As can be seen in the photos the PO made a bit of a mess that I will need to sort out either this weekend or over the Christmas break.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Found out we are going to the in laws tomorrow night, so likely no work on Taylor tomorrow. Only way it might happen is if I set up lights and work in the dark, which wouldn't be the first time, hahahaha.