Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is your father in law up to the task? If he is, can you ask him?

Or maybe its time to get the panel beaters kit, & have a go yourself?
Yeah I want to ask the father in law, but I'm mindful I have asked him for a fair bit of help over the last few years. I also have other jobs on the ute I need help with. I need to do as much as I can myself before I call on his help. Last time I mentioned painting on the ute he told me to ask a panel beater, who is an uncle of my bro in laws wife. I think the other issue is everyone in the wife's fam, calls on Grandad whenever cars need working on......lol

A good one would be 40 - 50 bucks at the wrecker, if I could find one. A panel beating job could be more than twice that depending on what they charge. Probably why panels rarely get repaired these days.......

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yep, as @Lex suggest, get a cheap hammer and dolly kit and gently peen it flat to remove any waves... What's the worse that can happen, it will either fit or not or the ripples can't be covered by spray filler......

If it doesn't fit, spray it so it wont rust and sell the it to someone else that has better panel beating skills than you... I'd think cleaned of all the crud, it'd be worth more than what you paid.....

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Might have sold my spare cat. Bloke on FB buys them for $100. Be interesting to see if he turns up. If he takes it I will be buying a couple of different primers, thinners and hardener.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Roughly, 8 Cats is about 1 Oz of Platinum. Have you checked the prices? Peaked at about some north of $1,000 USD per Oz Troy. Diesel engines use Cats with Palladium, as of today, $2,350 USDs

AUD 0.70 Vs USD 1.00

I say, hang on to it for a bit or haggle a higher price.

The chart is on USDs
Screenshot_20201027-210325_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
1603932946580.png

Ordered this today, $130 from SCA with my $20 Club Cash.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Roughly, 8 Cats is about 1 Oz of Platinum. Have you checked the prices? Peaked at about some north of $1,000 USD per Oz Troy. Diesel engines use Cats with Palladium, as of today, $2,350 USDs

AUD 0.70 Vs USD 1.00

I say, hang on to it for a bit or haggle a higher price.

The chart is on USDs
View attachment 215653

[/URL]
Just sold mine for $100. I was happy with the price I got. Car only cost me $300 including a $150 tow. I had made over $200 in profit already plus I got a fair few parts replaced on the ute. The Cat was just sitting in the scrap pile, not knowing where it would end up. Interesting part was, it was a local wrecker who came and collected it.... , go figure??

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is your father in law up to the task? If he is, can you ask him?

Or maybe its time to get the panel beaters kit, & have a go yourself?
Father in law is going to have a look at the tailgate rail. Might be a couple of weeks before he gets to it as he has a few of his own jobs on the go at the moment. This weekend weather dependent I will be etching the other side rail. I won't have any 2k for a while as I don't want to spend the coin on paint right now. About to pay council building application fees and also the draftsman so need to be a bit careful on how much I spend on the ute over the next couple of months.
On another note the head unit is in. I am yet to program it as that requires reading instructions and pairing it with my phone. Not being real tech savvy it might be something I need to do on the weekend. I'd like to try and bridge the amp this weekend, last time I tried it made a humm, which says I have a ground loop issue. My bets were on the old HU RCA jacks, so hopefully with this new one it won't give me any grief.
head unit.jpg

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Man I get ripped down here not worth the effort holding on to cats,radiators,manifolds or car batteries they just give junk prices.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was wrapped to get the $100 they paid, it was a nice bit of pocket money to spend on the ute. I wasn't sure what to do with it previously. If it had sat around too long it may have been sent to the tip.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the head unit all set today, it now connects to my phone via Bluetooth. Took me most of my lunchbreak to get it working. Had to give up and call on higher help, 30 mins into my break. Ended up finding a Youtube vid that helped somewhat but the main issue was me not knowing how to get my phone to allow it to connect Bluetooth (phone setting, I have never used before). Like I said last night I'm not tech savvy and using phone for much more than JC and making calls is something I seriously lack skill in.
I was able to use free Spotify on the way home. I tried to make a call though and found out I needed the mic that plugs in. Looked in the book and of course it's on the back of the head unit. Not too hard to pull it out on a VR, only takes 15mins to get it out and put all back together. Tested the call function and it works like a beauty. :):):):)
Only criticism is the manual is seriously lacking detail. If you didn't have access to the Net you would never know how to set even most of the basic functions, like subs and turning off settings that you don't need. Basically to set the unit up, Youtube and Google are pretty much vital.