Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Can someone read the data on Memcal or is a matter of data logging? Can I just send stock tune, mention upgrades and have something fairly close and then data log for final adjustments?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
you sir need to do some headaching research on that shite haha.

Basically buy the gear get tech nerd to solder in socket etc into ecu...put in car with current memcal go for drives data-log & send to tuner who puts changes onto memcal.

Hence easier to get another ecu with spare memcals so can keep jalopy running at same time.

That is roundabout plan to doing mine just cbf'd pulling finger out lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok I have a spare PCM. I will try and find out someone who does this sort of thing and give them PCM and Memcal.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
How do you know it is lean at the top end?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How do you know it is lean at the top end?

You told me when I posted my dyno sheet. Something about it needed to be in the 12s. I don't quite know what that means other than it's slightly lean.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
:eek: Lol, forgot you posted a dyno sheet.

It's easy enough to tweak the tune but the dyno only shows the AFR's at WOT. Don't you have a MACE tune?

IIRC the VR tunes are some of the more tame tunes from Holden. Chuck some fuel and timing at it and it'll pick up a bit.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have Mace tune, but may still need a tweak.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't know what MACE will have done but probably best to send that off as the base and modify from there. I could mod a stock VR tune but no way to know how it would compare to the MACE item. Only need to send the memcal.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well just tested the ute and from a standstill it will spin both wheels. I actually had to back off, because I'm not wearing out fairly new tyres. However there is a problem with the TPS. It won't kick down to second from third. It will go from first and change up through all four gears. But stab it and it will stay in third. Have CEL when flooring it, which goes away after 5 or 6 seconds. Code 21 is logged. New Delphi TPS and installed correctly as I just checked. I didn't think it was right since fitting the new sensor. It played up and had to limp back home, 3km as had no gear changes. Pulled sensor and engine fuse, reassembled. Now have gears but no kick down, still and still get CEL at WOT.