Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I now have three working DFI's lol. The ones I replaced weren't faulty at all, I found that out after testing them last night. I will insect the DFI plug again myself, even though it was fine 12 months ago when I paid to have it checked. Yanking on the harness' at the sensors couldn't get the ute to stall or not restart. It is showing very similar symptoms to when the last fairly new CAS failed. No codes, random stopping even after driving for five mins.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I couldn't remove the harness from the wagon without chopping it Fu, I don't like my chances of successfully removing one from the wreckers. My best hope is to replace the three or four problematic plugs with a new 10cm of cable and join it in. If I can find a complete harness in reasonable condition already removed at a reasonable price I will grab it and get it checked out. I might even be able to find a hacked one as well and use some of the cables that are still soft and have them joined in.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
The big plug where loom goes through firewall?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I couldn't get it out on the wagon. Tried big screwdriver, tried pulling, nothing stuck tight.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The test will be today when I finish here, mowing the block whether ute will start or need some coersion......

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Next time unpick the plastic ring thing from rubber then push mofo' out with handle end of hammer.

Imagine ex-mother in law & bus driving down road....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20201230_142259_resized.jpg

Used the Turtle Wax spray gear today over the top of the polish, which I applied a few days ago. I want to give it one more coat, then I should be set for at least 6 months.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thinking I might see if the auto electrician near work is back next week and find out if they are happy to chop some of the loom out on the TPS, cam sensor and oil pressure sensor and solder in 10cm of fresh cable, rather than me messing around trying to find a hacked harness at the wreckers, which they get funny about when you walk out with a piece of harness and not the whole thing.
I will try and get a full harness at some stage but it's too hard at the local wreckers as they make you jack up the cars yourself, in a cow paddock and then prop them up with pieces of wooden log. It's not a good feeling being underneath the cars in his yard. I was pretty nervous when I pulled the Pacies and another time when I removed a tailshaft, it's not like the cars feel real stable when you have them all lop sided because the ground is sloped and the blocks being different lengths.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Far friggen out, now I have the oil pressure light coming on...... Getting ready to walk away from this bastard ute. The sensor is a few days old, ******* junk Repco parts old sensor **** itself within 18 months. Now I suspect this one has died. I just cleaned the plug with degreaser and inside the sender with the same and pushed a rag in it to soak up the degreaser. Now waiting for it to dry out and see if the problem persists. I have previously joined cables cables and replaced the plug as the old plug was damaged by a PO who put blue RTV all through it, possibly because of a split sender like I had on the weekend. At least I know it has oil pressure because I drove the ****** 15 mins after it came on, after a quick check under the bonnet. Shutting it down and restarting the engine sorts it out for about two minutes.

Last edited: