Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
tailshaft.jpg
tailshaft.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have some damaged in the shaft itself where you can see just near the clamp. Is the tail shaft now f####d.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Reco one will take too long over a week to get it and no way I could afford it, with freight. I need my car back on the road in the next few days. I already have the bearing kit. Bearing should hopefully be fitted today, if he has time. I am having the shaft dropped off this morn, hopefully.
I have it booked in for a trans service and solenoids next week and it's taken me three months to get it in to the trans tech he books out that far ahead. I aint missing out on my place with him. If my solenoids go I could end up stuck on my way to or from work with 50km trip to try and find phone service and organise a flat bed. I broke down yesterday with no reception for 15km and that was bad enough. I have a feeling I might need a new uni as well, it wasn't too bad but had one spot where it felt a tiny bit notchy.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I hoping the damage which seems to be along the welded seem is not going to be a problem, or I will have to get a SH full TS and send that out to the engineers to rebuild.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hoping my tail shaft can be repaired. Second hand one is $110 bucks and will still need a bearing I'd say and possibly a uni. Waiting to see if the driver at work has found the engineering place where he needs to drop it off. Not knowing the diagnosis is killing me......:(:(

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Engineer said the damage shouldn't affect anything. Uni on the front shaft needs replacing so he is going to do that at the same time. Wish I'd checked the rear uni because that might be worn too, didn't think, too busy trying to call places at the end of the day to get the bearing fitted. Might have to reassemble it and dissemble it again in a few weeks time if the rear one does need replacing. Hoping I might be able to leave the front shaft in place next time and just remove the rear half, so I can keep the yoke in the trans.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got my front tail shaft back today with new bearing fitted and a new uni. Was surprised it took him 1.25hrs to do the job as they do a lot of them. Guess it is what it is, here I was expecting 30mins to do the job but I really had NFI as this is the first one I have had replaced..... Glad I didn't attempt it myself as it might have ended up in tears. He managed to reuse the CV boot which was good. Hate to think of the price if he had to supply a new CV. Just need to get a lift home now so I can put the shaft back in. Still need to check the rear shaft's uni. Hopefully it is still ok or it's back out again to replace that at some stage. My guess is it will probably need replacing as I can't really see the rear one wearing less than the front. Might see if I can get a workshop closer to work to fit the new rear uni though as I had to borrow a car to pick up my front shaft today out the other side of Town, wasn't sure what the bus driver would have thought with me carrying a tail shaft... lol.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Had a thought a few days ago. Because I carry a lot of materials for the house i am building i have worsened the crack in the thing that sits behind the cab. Not sure what it is called? But i have been leaning timber on it. My thoughts are to take out the stop light and fill the thing with expanda foam and then bog up the crack with fibre fill should make it a lot stronger once im finished.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Found another coolant weep the other day when I was underneath looking for the problem with my loose steering column. I now have a weep coming from the heater hose up near the firewall. Hoping a chop and new clamp will take care of it. Failing that I will need a new hose and two clamps. Hopefully one day i will sort out this cooling system.