Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think i have now pretty much nearly everything has been fixed since I took it into KTAS around six months or more ago now. I have replaced rocker cover gaskets, fixed a leaking PS pump and leaking crank seal. I had an issue with trans not shifting properly and that ended up being the TPS. I am getting the trans serviced in abot 10 days and i have two solenoids to have him fit while he is at it. Solenoids have not failed yet but they do fail when the mileage gets up and according to the trans tech it will pretty much be a flatbed if they do go.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Late yesterday i got the ute over the pit in my shed and used three cans of degreaser and a kero gun of CT 18 and soaked up the underneath of the body and diff housing. I then hit the lot with the Karcher and blasted 20 years worth of oil and mud. Looks really good underneath now. It will also be great for when I need to work on the underside of the ute. Means i won't have dirt dropping on my face when i adust the handbrake.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Also had the aircond fixed last week. That That turned out to be a major job in the end. Once Once he was into it we discovered a crushed pipe up front. The when he went to fit the pipe he discovered the condenser threads had been stripped off. So he made some calls as did i and i priced up at condenser at repco. First pricr they gave me was 180. I left it and checked eBay, 127 bucks. I call back repco and ask for a best price. what do know they can do it for 130. Mech does some ringing around ans ends up tellinfg me he can match the 130. So 6.30 Thursday evening i get my ute back with working aircond. And i also get a 610 dollar bill to get it working. It still may need a TX valve as the high pressure is not cutting off as much as it should be unless the engine revs are around 1500 to 2k. That's pretty much it until i take it in for the trans service in 10 days time.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
good on you for sticking with it. The fun of having an older car comes when everything works and they feel really nice on the road. Class.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
How do u empty the pit?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How do u empty the pit?

The pit drains away by itself as it's not 100% water tight. There is a bit of a sludgy mess in the bottom now though. Thinking kitty litter and a shovel will sort that out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bought this for 27 bucks. Way easier than messing with the old one which who knows why its not working.
20171115_082500.jpg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The pit drains away by itself as it's not 100% water tight. There is a bit of a sludgy mess in the bottom now though. Thinking kitty litter and a shovel will sort that out.

So where does the contaminated water go to ?

Through a separator or just the general environment ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Very little contamination except for the occasional oil spill that happens if the drain plug flow misses the container. Most of the oil and gear sits on the bottom of the pit where I chuck saw dust on it and I guess a small amount would seep out through the any gaps in the mortar. Then has rock and clay to seep into 6' under the ground. Sludgy mess I have at the moment is mostly dirt but it's too wet to scrape up yet as the water (10mm) is still sitting on the bottom of the pit right near the centre where it slopes in a tad.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
On another note I was left stranded gain today with no mob service. I was fortunate a couple of blokes stopped and drove me to a spot where I could call the RACT. Ended up having to get a flat bed back home. Tail shaft bearing damper had completely gone. I heard a noise and then clunk, clunk, clunk. Nursed it up the road 5-7km until I found a safe place to pull off and where a flatbed could hook me up without blocking the road. Just looked underneath and she is completely shot. I can get the shaft off but I'm not hopeful of getting the TS to a mech to press off the old bearing and press on the new one as they probably can't get me in. I have a press just no bearing separator so I can rig it up to get the old one off. Anyone got any tips on what I can do? I have no steel to even make a tool and I'm a long way from any tool place.