Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud Clicking Noise from RHF Wheel (Resolved)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Just started getting a loud clicking noise from my right hand front wheel when turning corners on my Gen-F2 GTS (48,000kms), particularly noticeable at roundabouts and when turning into parking spaces. No rumbles or other noises when driving straight ahead (at any speed). I have:
  • Jacked up the front, both wheels turned fine, no noises when steering turned left or right.
  • Checked the wheel bearings, no play top to bottom or left to right.
  • Removed the RH wheel, checked all bolts in the suspension and brakes for tightness, all OK.
  • Nothing stuck in the tyre.
  • Couldn’t see any signs of rubbing anywhere.
  • Brake pads are a little low, but still have plenty of pad there (not that the standard pad material is very thick to begin with).
  • The wear indicators are still a couple of mm from the pad material.
I know that I could replace the brake pads and the wheel bearing. However, other forum members with similar (but not identical) problems have replaced wheel bearings without solving their problem. I would not have expected to replace a (genuine) wheel bearing at such a relatively low kms (but perhaps standards have dropped over the years).

Problems requiring replacement rear wheel bearings seem to be a not uncommon occurrence for VEs, but there are few (if any) posts for front wheel bearing problems in either the VE or VF forums. I’d appreciate feedback from any forum members having similar problem, and in particular, details of the resolution.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I had a similar issue on my MSE @ < 1500 kms old. The dealer said the sound was caused by the opposite side brake pad retaining plate as it had lost its tension? Fixed by retensioning the plate (= bending it)… Noise came back so dropped into another dealer (during a rare drive) and they checked the car and said it was loose wheel nuts which they said they’d tightened… problem was gone and stayed gone……

A year later, I took off that front wheel and it seems like someone had used emery cloth on the rear of the alloy wheel hub, the part that mates on the rotor… either that or those wheel nuts were really loose and I was lucky not to loose the wheel… That inner wheel hub looks very different to the other three wheels and the spare wheel…

Somewhat pissed that they (1) didn’t replace the brake retaining plate and (2) didn’t replace the wheel studs and nuts and the wheel itself…

At least it’s been ok and nothing has broken during the subsequent 4000kms :cool:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Surely it can't be a wheel bearing. The factory ones are decent and last a lot longer than 50k.
I had a failed rear bearing but I seriously doubt it was a factory one. I pulled a factory one apart that I bought from a wrecker and even the red grease was like new. Balancing shop said factory, driveline bearings, unis and drive shafts are decent and better than what's available aftermarket.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Nothing stuck on the inner barrel of the wheel?

Reactions: Lex

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
No ones stuck a playing card in between your spokes?
Wouldn't that be a slap-slap-slap noise rather than a click-click-click noise (unless you are into stainless steel playing cards)?

Anyway, based on the feedback from other members, I think I will need to have a better look at the wheel/hub connection surfaces as well as the tightness of the steering bolts. I also realised that I didn't look closely enough at the wear indicator on the inner pad, only the outer pad.
Job for tomorrow (or the next day depending on whether it rains).

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not sure about your Brembos but stock SS calipers you have to remove the caliper to check the inner pad.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Black Edition V8
On Brembo's just remove both retaining pins and both pads slide out. You'll need a small pin punch to tap them from the inside out

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Wouldn't that be a slap-slap-slap noise rather than a click-click-click noise (unless you are into stainless steel playing cards)?

Anyway, based on the feedback from other members, I think I will need to have a better look at the wheel/hub connection surfaces as well as the tightness of the steering bolts. I also realised that I didn't look closely enough at the wear indicator on the inner pad, only the outer pad.
Job for tomorrow (or the next day depending on whether it rains).
I did not analyse the sound clearly, you would be correct.