Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lower balljoints and Top Stut mounts

Anthraxnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Morning all,

I just failed my warrant of fitness on Lower balljoints and play in Strut top mount.

Are these hard things to fix? I searched for info about the balljoints and they seem rather simple to replace (if you can get them out) but i dont know anything about the Top mount.

The top mounts the rubber thing between the top of the strut and the strut tower just incase i have got the wrong name for it.

Any help would be awesome as the garage closes on thursday next week

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
as far as I understand you compress the springs and undo the strut insert nut located under the plastic cap on top of the strut mount. then you got the 3 nuts on top the hold in the mounts to the body. I have never done it before but that's all I know. mine need replacing too. I still need to get the strut tops and power steering rack and I have every part new ready for a complete suspension rebuild.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
The lower control arm has the ball joint in it, it's best to replace the arms as a changeover as the joints are press fit and that's not really a home mechanic job. You'll get new inner bushes too that way. Should be about $80 each changeover. Ask about new swaybar bushes etc at the same time if they are worn or you want to put in better links.
Strut top is best done with aftermarket adjustable tops if you want to save some $$$ down the line...(with wheel alignment and tyre wear)
You could do the lowers yourself easily but you want to be careful playing with spring compressors for the strut tops. If you do it yourself read the spring compressor instructions carefully and use chassis stands so you don't die.
Remember you will need a wheel alignment afterwards.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
$400 isn't a bad price at all - don't be upset with that :p