Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowered springs v springs/short shocks.

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
yea i dident know the billys were mono or not

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
ive never used them in a ve

but be awear mono tubes do #### out quicker but do act better

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
i would assume the billstien ve shocks are non inverted but i might be wrong

most billys i use at work are dual tube and are ****

like i said i never used the ve ones i just use them in bmw's and mercs volvos audis and all of those eruo cars and we use the cheaper ones as customers never want to spend big dollars on shocks

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
i would say the pedders car would be using mca dms or proflex

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
im pretty sure pedders use proflex in there cars and also they use KING springs.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
just go with there 30mm lowerd springs

but coil overs are far better but if you dont want to spend then just pay the 550 at pedders it comes with 40,000k 2 year warrenty you could of even got it lowerd by holden at pedders before you bought it and you retain all warrentys on your car

This is what i had done :thumbsup:

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
can someone please explain to me what coilovers are XD
The term 'coilover' refers to the the coil being mounted on the shock, ie. there's a spring seat mounted on the dampening device. All Commodores, from VB-VE, have 'coilovers' on the front as standard from factory. Unfortunately, what the 'google mechanic cafe racing ebay sellers' have turned the term 'coilovers' into, is the ability to adjust ride height through the use of a threaded sleeve, in which the lower spring seat can be positioned at different locations to change the ride height.

but be awear mono tubes do #### out quicker but do act better
I probably came across a little harsh in my rant, yesterday, but honestly mate, who is telling you this rubbish? There's no possible way that monotube shocks will wear out quicker. Especially on lowered spring where the big advantage of monotube is their ability to perform the same at any point in their travel. Unlike twin tube shocks that go off badly (and wear alot quicker) if their neutral point of travel is changed substantially (ie by lowering the vehicle).

i would assume the billstien ve shocks are non inverted but i might be wrong
Fronts are inverted, rears are standard shock.

most billys i use at work are dual tube and are ****
There's Bilstein and there's Bilstein. They've got 2 factories, the German one (where all there performance shocks come from), and one in asia land somewhere. When people here refer to Bilstein, they're referring to the performance ones. Bilstein don't make their cheap crappy ones for Commodores.

like i said i never used the ve ones
See above about only the performance (German) made ones being available for Commodores.

i just use them in bmw's and mercs volvos audis and all of those eruo cars and we use the cheaper ones as customers never want to spend big dollars on shocks
And that's fine, and let's face it, 99% of customers won't notice the difference anyway. Do you use Boge at all? They'll be available for most of the Euro cars, shouldn't be too expensive, and come with a lifetime warranty, which is quite unusual for shocks...

i would say the pedders car would be using mca dms or proflex
They wouldn't be using DMS. If I had to bet the house one way I'd go MCA.

im pretty sure pedders use proflex in there cars and also they use KING springs.
Do you mean Proflex as in what Murray used to call his stuff (now known as MCA), or Proflex as in what Alistair McRae sells? I'll assume MCA given the Kings comment as that's what Murray has been using for years, and that's what I'd bet on too. Out of interest DMS use Kings too, but they're not off the shelf Kings, and are rolled to DMS's double progressive wind, and basically branded DMS springs. In fact I can't remember the last time the Australia Rally Championship was won on Springs other than Kings!

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
yes the old proflex not alisters stuff, just find it funny that pedders have there own motorsports coils(small id coils) but they use kings.