Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowered springs v springs/short shocks.

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
in valve rates all sports shocks are about the same it's just that some shocks will fail before others

you get what you pay for

but most shocks will see the 100,000k mark still working it's just that koni will be still working great by then

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
na pedders is australian mark pedder owns it i have had a beer with him before his dad ron used to own it and rons dad started it in sydney in like the 30's or 40's

not all bilstien's are mono tube

There you go! didn't know that!

I realise the bilteins are mono tube, but i thought the konis weren't, and as such were not as strong or as firmly damped (even the yellows). So you'd rate the Konis as a better set up. I don't mind spending the extra for konis if it's worth it.

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
what you would be after is a ohlims shock for performance but they are very pricey they are or were an option on gts hsv's

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
count your self luck you dont have gts magnetic shocks they are puss i had a ve gts at work and one shock was leaking $1200 a shock a $250 sports shock will give the same performance as the mag shocks at firm its just that they are adjustable and koni's are adjustbale but you have to get out to adjust them but the there are kits that give electroinc adjustment on the dash so if you had coilovers you could adjust them on dash for les then a full set of gts shocks

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Believe me.. Ohlins would be ideal! But I'm not sure that social racing warrants that sort of a spend!! Don't want to cheap it.. but the back pocket isn't THAT heavy!!

I wouldn't buy a GTS for that very reason!!! $1200 a corner is insane!!! And I'm honestly not that interested in adjusting them.. I just want to drive the thing! I'll deal with the harsher ride on Sydney streets, so long as it sticks when I want it to.

So if koni yellows will out perform Bilsteins for longer, then that's the way I'll probably go. The quote for konis (with kings in this case) isn't heaps more expensive than what I've been quoted for Bilsteins (again with kings).

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
make sure you get big sway bars take it for a drive if it oversteers try and tune it out and you will beat any commo on the street around roundabouts make sure you have good tryres like potenzas and dont worry if they pull it's common for potenzas to pull

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
yeah, I was going to go for some nice, fat adjustable jobbies with the sways to keep her nice and flat. And as for tyres, was leaning towards the Michelin Pilots. But they're about the same price as the Bridgestones so still undecided on those. Being a ute, tuning the oversteer out of it could be a mission!!!!

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
well what i meant was give it all the oversteer you can then back it off to a good point

but with the shocks if the konis are the same price the bilsteins and konis will probaly be about the same

but i have seen alot of leaking bilstiens

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Well the guys that gave me the koni quote do seem to do a lot of VEs - track cars too apparently, whereas the shop that quoted me the bilsteins tends to do mostly jap cars. Both are fairly local. And both brands seem to be rebuildable and repairable. The quote for the konis was really quite reasonable and included fitting and alignment.