Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] ls1 cam!

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
Very true!! The higher the duration, the higher peak power will be, when you start going huge, you need to spin your engine to dangerous rpms to make peak power which means you need really efficient heads and manifold. Better off with a small duration cam with a tight LSA for a street car! the 226/231 110 is excellent with nice choppy idle. My mate has run 10.4 with a cam only ls1 and a shot of gas with this cam.

Andrewss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
Just wanted to add that you need to talk with your tuner or som1 that has tuned a lot of camed ls1's. Ask them what camshafts worked best for them and what camshaft manufacturers they have found to be the best .
Also make sure that you dial in the camshaft.
I wouldnt buy a come racing or Crow camshaft, i have had bad cams from them.
As for the underdriven balancer i don't think its really worth it for power, more for piece of mind that the old one doesnt fail.
Myself if i wanted a big cam i would go somthink around 232-234, .600 lift, 110, maybe from isky or comp.

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
so the lsa the higher it is the lumpey the car will be?

[TOPGEAR]

PUNISHER :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS + VS LS1 ute + VF SS Ute + VE Calais V
im going to go with the 232/234 in mine, heard its a good option from other people other than on here.

also remember, bigger cam is not always better. ive seen smaller cams make more power than the bigger ones (stock bottom end)

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
its not always about the dyno figure im heading towards the comp 222/224 and the fact it can be tuned for better fuel economy than a stock car

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
its not always about the dyno figure im heading towards the comp 222/224 and the fact it can be tuned for better fuel economy than a stock car

if your going for small duration, go for a tighter lobe sep to give u higher cylinder pressure.. trust me, ull end up wanting a bigger cam otherwise

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
I have a 239/244 114 cam I am thinking on putting in mine. also have a 4200 stall aswell... im not after fuel eco.. engine is built to suit. not sure what figures might be..