Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1 noise under low rpm

Dan Cherrill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 2003
G'day everyone
First off i have been searching this issue for months and months and can find a couple of similar cars that i can clarify as the same issue but no answers on the vids.
If someone could help break down what and why this noise happens sometimes when idling but distinctively at low rpm.
i was told it sounded like gudgeon pins a while ago and back then it seemed to get worse or start happening when the car warmed up.
here is a link
i had driven the car probably two hours prior to starting the car and taking this vid
thank you to anyone that replys :D

02VYSS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7
Sounds like lifter tick, very common. My VYSS currently does the same however my oil pump has / is letting go. Probably worth while having lifters and oil pump looked at.

Dan Cherrill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 2003
Sounds like lifter tick, very common. My VYSS currently does the same however my oil pump has / is letting go. Probably worth while having lifters and oil pump looked at.
Thanks for the reply, its relieving to hear that i think i've over thought it, cause I've been worried it was bottom end/ gundeon pins which would be a full rebuild.
(might do a compression test this weekend and contemplate a cam/high vol oil pump)
would love a way to 100% confirm its valve noise though!