Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS2 6.0L common problems, Things to look for when buying a 6.0l LS2 car???

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
I'd be really happy with those figures on an 8 as I'm getting 16l per 100km on a 6 atm, and with sensible driving. Hmm cheaper to run an 8 than my car. Lol

It does depend on a lot of factors though, i.e. driving style, do you tend to rev up to 3500-4000 before allowing gears to change, traffic, fuel used and the like.

When I drove up to the Gold Coast and back I averaged 9.7L/100km across just over 4000km, whereas its normally in the mid-12's

The LS2's are awesome cruisers- just eat up k's without you noticing, I reckon its one of the best non-European engines going around!

Let us know how you go with your search and (hopeful) purchase!

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I get pretty excited when I go sub 18L when I baby it and if I decided to have some fun my fuel is gone in 300km.

Hahah thats about the same i get around town taking it easy 17/18L and get around 300 - 330kms to a tank, joys of having a fairly large cam in stop start traffic, although 1hr on the highway i got it down to 14L or so :D

As for the OP deff look at getting a catchcan as Jesterarts mentioned earlier, worth the money, mine catches a fair bit of crap over a couple months

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
When I brought my SS i noticed fuel consumption wasnt that different to my old VR V6. Around town id probably be around 14l.

However on the open road it runs on a sniff.

If you get a Mafless tune expect it to drop a little more.

...and I cant speak highly enough of my catch can. Within a week of driving it had a few teaspoons of oil in it.

Brenah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
No being stupid, but whats the purpose of a catch can?

Brendan

GenFree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX L67 S
No being stupid, but whats the purpose of a catch can?

Brendan

It catches the oil/vapour from the rocker cover ports instead of being fed back into the intake and possibly lowering the octane level of the fuel.