Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 cold air intake options

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
Correct I ran a hose because the sound tube outlet is on the other side for LHD vehicles.

shadow69

Reaction score
Members Ride
magnum on order
and does it sound about normal compared to stock or is it enhanced? also what size hose did u use?

this has probably confirmed for me to go the usa rotofab direction with either a livernois or sct4x tuning option asmost tuners around here want $1200-1500nzd for a tune only and the yanks know these engines well.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If it is the whole assembly the challenge I found was integrating the bi-modal activation to the OS. I think you need to rig up a third party RPM relay.

Why bother 'activating' it? Just leave it wide open all the time.

It was only 'activated' by HSV to pass the static/drive by noise test for the 340kw variants.

Just leave it open as an additional intake.

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
I've been running a Roto Fab for years and now run it on a series II. Being honest I think the standard intake with sound enhancer was louder. I hooked up the sound enhancer tube to the Roto Fab airbox and the sound does come through, however the factory port is in the intake tube itself right next to the throttle body which is a more ideal location. Overall intakes are a bit of a novelty, if you want some real roar then remove the lid of the Roto Fab and it makes a glorious sound. Whether there's any more power who knows, I 'tested' against an identical series II on the highway multiple times one night and strangely mine out-pulled its twin consistently. Might be more at play there though, fuel, kays etc, wouldn't necessarily credit an intake as you'd need quite a bit more grunt to noticeably out-pull someone and an intake won't do that alone. That said, the factory airbox/snorkle do look a little narrow.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Anyone on here installed the walky /Vcm suite OTR CAI on their LS3 without a tune? Curious to see any difference in engine characteristics, aside from looking Boss as in the engine bay, I am considering an intake and or a tune, no exhaust changes as yet. I have spoke to a Walky tech in Canberra, and he said on a recent install of an OTR and tune resulted in 28 rwkw increase, with a jump across the rev range in power and torque, just not the 70 or 80 you get with the full exhaust pack, because of timing restrictions... Thoughts?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Anyone on here installed the walky /Vcm suite OTR CAI on their LS3 without a tune? Curious to see any difference in engine characteristics, aside from looking Boss as in the engine bay, I am considering an intake and or a tune, no exhaust changes as yet. I have spoke to a Walky tech in Canberra, and he said on a recent install of an OTR and tune resulted in 28 rwkw increase, with a jump across the rev range in power and torque, just not the 70 or 80 you get with the full exhaust pack, because of timing restrictions... Thoughts?
Yes mate here is a good thread on that, and this one just a couple of weeks ago.
Also when speaking to a speed shop (who's job it is to book you in) first thing is to check you are always talking rwkw because 70 or 80 Kw with full bolt ons is really just a loose estimate at the flywheel (made up).
The other thing to note is that the commercial aim of the shop is to get you to buy the expensive bolt-ons from them and have them tune it all at once. To this end there are sales strategies that seem very technical mechanically which are meant to draw you in.
So VCM/Harrop/Walkinshaw OTR CAI will free only marginal power without tune but not affect engine diagnostics in the tune at all (as will HSV headers bolted to existing cats). Net benefit is about $130 per rwkw. In other words you do get some increase but you won't need to void your warranty by hacking the tune just to stop the Check Engine warning.
OTR and tune could make 28 rwkw and certainly a shop can make the dyno demonstrate that, but really that is at the upper end of reasonable expectation.
See here from row five down typical expectation of full bolt ons and tune is 304 rwkw with full custom dyno claiming 314 (375-400 fwkw). That's 60-70 rwkw for $5k-$7k or $83-$100 per rwkw. Also if you do pay around $100 per rwkw you will likely receive a special mylar badge to let everyone know your status, as a wood duck.*
Best bang for buck is OTR and tune for about a grand to get 25-30 rwkw or $33-$40 per rwkw. Even better value with 2 1/2" HSV full system with high flow cats, OTR and tune for $2k-$2.5k or $33-$35 per rwkw, is why this is such a popular path.

*Ascension after wood duck stupidity is SSG (supercharged superfat goose), a badge reserved for those who have even less time to listen and wads of money to spare, hence taxed $120-$140 per rwkw (i.e. 4x as much) for an LSA upgrade.
Oh yeah, then there's the HSV badge o_O

Last edited:

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Yes mate here is a good thread on that, and this one just a couple of weeks ago.
Also when speaking to a speed shop (who's job it is to book you in) first thing is to check you are always talking rwkw because 70 or 80 Kw with full bolt ons is really just a loose estimate at the flywheel (made up).
The other thing to note is that the commercial aim of the shop is to get you to buy the expensive bolt-ons from them and have them tune it all at once. To this end there are sales strategies that seem very technical mechanically which are meant to draw you in.
So VCM/Harrop/Walkinshaw OTR CAI will free only marginal power without tune but not affect engine diagnostics in the tune at all (as will HSV headers bolted to existing cats). Net benefit is about $130 per rwkw. In other words you do get some increase but you won't need to void your warranty by hacking the tune just to stop the Check Engine warning.
OTR and tune could make 28 rwkw and certainly a shop can make the dyno demonstrate that, but really that is at the upper end of reasonable expectation.
See here from row five down typical expectation of full bolt ons and tune is 304 rwkw with full custom dyno claiming 314 (375-400 fwkw). That's 60-70 rwkw for $5k-$7k or $83-$100 per rwkw. Also if you do pay around $100 per rwkw you will likely receive a special mylar badge to let everyone know your status, as a wood duck.*
Best bang for buck is OTR and tune for about a grand to get 25-30 rwkw or $33-$40 per rwkw. Even better value with 2 1/2" HSV full system with high flow cats, OTR and tune for $2k-$2.5k or $33-$35 per rwkw, is why this is such a popular path.

*Ascension after wood duck stupidity is SSG (supercharged superfat goose), a badge reserved for those who have even less time to listen and wads of money to spare, hence taxed $120-$140 per rwkw (i.e. 4x as much) for an LSA upgrade.
Oh yeah, then there's the HSV badge o_O
Nicely explained Monstar, with a little humour thrown in.

Orge17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Hey ..

I've just bought a 2017 VFII Redline Wagon and had a OTR VCM MAFless cold air intake put in straight away. FYG with a tune as well I gained about an extra 35kw on the Dyno.

My only complaint if there was one was when they take the old intake out they also take the Sound pipe out that pumps all the sound into the cabin.

Wondering if anyone has had these mod OTR intakes put in WITH the sound tube also attached. It doesnt seem common and I'm missing that extra sound coming into the cabin so you can get that full experience.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hey ..

I've just bought a 2017 VFII Redline Wagon and had a OTR VCM MAFless cold air intake put in straight away. FYG with a tune as well I gained about an extra 35kw on the Dyno.

My only complaint if there was one was when they take the old intake out they also take the Sound pipe out that pumps all the sound into the cabin.

Wondering if anyone has had these mod OTR intakes put in WITH the sound tube also attached. It doesnt seem common and I'm missing that extra sound coming into the cabin so you can get that full experience.
I thought the VCM for VF2 came with a pipe to plumb up the MSE?
I have a RotoFab and the MSE is now connected. Like you, I really missed the sound when it wasn't connected.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
If you get a MAF OTR, can you just pull the MAF out when you get a fulltune and seal that part of the intake somehow?