Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Lifter noise or Piston Slap?

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
You could try dropping the belt for a short period. Maybe it's not even related to internals. If it was a proper knock it would get worse as the oil heated up. My ears may be old but I don't hear anything other than an LS3 in your vid

Yeah the knock is pretty loud at times. Didnt used to do it. Its definitely in the motor.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Yeah the knock is pretty loud at times. Didnt used to do it. Its definitely in the motor.
Mine makes the same noise but goes away once the car's warm. However it was inaudible at idle when I had my stock exhaust. Since moving to longtube 1 7/8 I can just about hear at idle. Honestly If it stops when warm then I wouldn't worry about it.

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
My suggestion is don't ignore the noise as if lifters the earlier repaired the less collateral damage done.
I was told the Police have had a lot of lifters replaced in and out or Warranty by GM Australia - same problems different GM attitude to repairs.
My own LS3 cold noise was identified well within Full Factory Warranty and the resulting legal case continues today with GM Australia refusing to follow QCAT directions to provide diagnosis and file info. In my experiences no one other than GM Australia has identified the noises linked in my video below as normal or characteristic of a 38,000km LS3 (not even Holden Dealers). The bullying and extent GM have gone to to cover up this 'noise' is intended to be exposed after the hearing (always says something when Manufacturers override its Dealers diagnosis (especially without even inspecting the noise or employing deceptive practices)). From statements by 'LS3 experts' I have been told, LS3 hydraulic lifters can fail at any traveled distance - many allege this is a GM Manufacturing Quality Control issue or in other cases a servicing issue that can trigger it.
70,000km appears a traveled distance some others report the noise was first noticed - beware the problem could have existed earlier but the noise not heard at idle (see video below it can come in and out) - the durability of any engine is dependent on the weakest component and not expected at low kms.
Most LS3 engine owners may be unaware of what is likely could be costly problems developing in their engine. If people concede to GM rhetoric and take excessive noises as 'normal', take unsubstantiated claims by those with a conflicts of interest at face value, or choose to ignore such noises: (which, with lifter problems Holden Technician's stated could start at any time) they must also accept that engine damage to lifters, camshaft ... is acceptable and could cost $5000-15000 to repair later down the track.
The recorded noise I experienced (many many similar videos) were recorded at idle then within the first few minutes at idle then around 1200 rpm. I was advised by a experienced repairer that the noise he heard in my engine will develop into a cold and later warm engine noise as damage progresses. I am not alone saying that GM and the 'industry' are well aware of this problem which GM want to hide owner awareness of (appears prepare to loose a one off Holden customer to save a alleged recall and impact to other GM products about to be released in Australia).

Last edited:

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
My suggestion is don't ignore the noise as if lifters the earlier repaired the less collateral damage done.
I was told the Police have had a lot of lifters replaced in and out or Warranty by GM Australia - same problems different GM attitude to repairs.
My own LS3 cold noise was identified well within Full Factory Warranty and the resulting legal case continues today with GM Australia refusing to follow QCAT directions to provide diagnosis and file info. In my experiences no one other than GM Australia has identified the noises linked in my video below as normal or characteristic of a 38,000km LS3 (not even Holden Dealers). The bullying and extent GM have gone to to cover up this 'noise' is intended to be exposed after the hearing (always says something when Manufacturers override its Dealers diagnosis (especially without even inspecting the noise or employing deceptive practices)). From statements by 'LS3 experts' I have been told, LS3 hydraulic lifters can fail at any traveled distance - many allege this is a GM Manufacturing Quality Control issue or in other cases a servicing issue that can trigger it.
70,000km appears a traveled distance some others report the noise was first noticed - beware the problem could have existed earlier but the noise not heard at idle (see video below it can come in and out) - the durability of any engine is dependent on the weakest component and not expected at low kms.
Most LS3 engine owners may be unaware of what is likely could be costly problems developing in their engine. If people concede to GM rhetoric and take excessive noises as 'normal', take unsubstantiated claims by those with a conflicts of interest at face value, or choose to ignore such noises: (which, with lifter problems Holden Technician's stated could start at any time) they must also accept that engine damage to lifters, camshaft ... is acceptable and could cost $5000-15000 to repair later down the track.
The recorded noise I experienced (many many similar videos) were recorded at idle then within the first few minutes at idle then around 1200 rpm. I was advised by a experienced repairer that the noise he heard in my engine will develop into a cold and later warm engine noise as damage progresses. I am not alone saying that GM and the 'industry' are well aware of this problem which GM want to hide owner awareness of (appears prepare to loose a one off Holden customer to save a alleged recall and impact to other GM products about to be released in Australia).

[/URL]

So what was your noise? Lifters or slap? Yours sounds like lifters to me. More tappy than my noise.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That's lifter noise for days. Sounds like my previous LS1 after 16 years but that noise came one day and never left. Swapped them out and noise was gone. Slapped cold most of its life but that just laid some scores on the lower bore of no consequence

It's a bit weird the way it comes and goes, almost like pushrod length needs to be checked cause one is a little too small

Last edited:
Reactions: HDJ

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Unfortunately its best for me not to comment re my own findings at this stage of legal process, but can expose what GM expect should be taken at face value (GM Australia rhetoric/claims below made while their alleged supporting test results are denied access to both me and to QCAT). The cold start engine NOISES sources will be discussed through the Court process and will be argued not consistent with what GM Australia claim below:
'
GM AUSTRALIA claim 'Noise consistent with piston slap - Refer to DL64/16' (GM Refuse to provide me with DL64/16) 'the reported noise is "piston slap" which is considered a normal operation characteristic of the high-performance Gen IV LS3 V8 engine and may be noticed when the engine is cold or during warm up' .
(CHALLENGED ALSO) 'our Technical Team has deemed your Vehicle to be performing as designed and is considered to be within normal operation'
(CHALLENGED ALSO) 'The slight bit of lifter noise goes away as soon as oil begins to circulate'
(CHALLENGED ALSO) 'Your reported 'normal' characteristic of the high-performance Gen IV LS3 V8 engine ... your reported engine noise to not be in any way detrimental to the operation or longevity of the engine'.

As stated before, GM Australia's claims are argued inconsistent with evidence and are not supported by independent Holden trained and LS3 Experts I have contacted!!!! Appears an avoidance tactic by GM Australia to deflect Cold Start Engine Noises - (no matter the noise, level or duration) as Normal Piston Slap.

Hence what GM Australia's claim expects us to believe is that everyone with low Km LS3 engines would hear those same engine noises (recorded above) and that none of the many lifter replacements or engine replacements GM has approved in the past (when the Holden name had value) were therefore justified since arguably no engine problems existed? You make your own judgement of what type of game GM are playing in Australia. And that lifter roller damage and cam damage, ... is not damage but were manufactured that way as a form of secret design feature.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Unfortunately its best for me not to comment re my own findings at this stage of legal process, but can expose what GM expect should be taken at face value (GM Australia rhetoric/claims below made while their alleged supporting test results are denied access to both me and to QCAT). The cold start engine NOISES sources will be discussed through the Court process and will be argued not consistent with what GM Australia claim below:
'
GM AUSTRALIA claim 'Noise consistent with piston slap - Refer to DL64/16' (GM Refuse to provide me with DL64/16) 'the reported noise is "piston slap" which is considered a normal operation characteristic of the high-performance Gen IV LS3 V8 engine and may be noticed when the engine is cold or during warm up' .
(CHALLENGED ALSO) 'our Technical Team has deemed your Vehicle to be performing as designed and is considered to be within normal operation'
(CHALLENGED ALSO) 'The slight bit of lifter noise goes away as soon as oil begins to circulate'
(CHALLENGED ALSO) 'Your reported 'normal' characteristic of the high-performance Gen IV LS3 V8 engine ... your reported engine noise to not be in any way detrimental to the operation or longevity of the engine'.

As stated before, GM Australia's claims are argued inconsistent with evidence and are not supported by independent Holden trained and LS3 Experts I have contacted!!!! Appears an avoidance tactic by GM Australia to deflect Cold Start Engine Noises - (no matter the noise, level or duration) as Normal Piston Slap.

Hence what GM Australia's claim expects us to believe is that everyone with low Km LS3 engines would hear those same engine noises (recorded above) and that none of the many lifter replacements or engine replacements GM has approved in the past (when the Holden name had value) were therefore justified since arguably no engine problems existed? You make your own judgement of what type of game GM are playing in Australia. And that lifter roller damage and cam damage, ... is not damage but were manufactured that way as a form of secret design feature.
A friend of mine had his engine replaced not long after buying new to be fair holden did it swiftly and and he got another ute to drive while he waited for his one . Besides the fact it had to be done he was happy enough with the process

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This is the rather interesting bit in my view so it would be interesting to hear how the magistrate court or QCAT assessor considers this matter at hand…

Just can’t believe it’s taking this long to get the matter before a court or tribunal… what’s the delay? Can’t really be COVID as the NRL final this weekend seems to be a goer even though a few weeks ago the implied consequence of one COVID case was lockdown :rolleyes:

Holden needs to be brought to heal and given a thumping, sooner rather than later :cool:

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Yes will be an interesting and watched test of Australian Consumer Law and obstruction of informed decision making by the assessor - QCAT have been easy to deal with and fast from their processing side. The long Vehicle Claim hearing delay is due to long case backlog in this area of QCAT - and for my case added delays in getting documents from the other parties. GM Australia have demonstrated a bullying (Dealers and myself) and an obstructionist approach since Feb - assume also waiting for warranty to end in August 2021. More to this and why I believe GM are doing this later if I can disclose it.
Times have changed since end 2020 Re Hg King post - assume this Warranty cover example was some time ago when GM Holden had engines available and GM wanted to protect its GM Holden name (Holden name ends this year 2021). GM Australia no longer carry engines nor many other 'spares' previously held (Holden had a fire sale auction when closing and got rid of many spare components and its engines - in 2021 independent Australian importers ran out of LS3 engines for a long period this year (to my understanding some crate engines are now back in stock from independent suppliers for just over $12000 - long engines are not normally imported (last time I checked). 'Holden' will soon no longer exist - GM.com/'GM Australia and New Zealand' are now the legal entity that is allegedly abusing Australian Laws and customer protection under ACL (are they too big to touch is the question?)