Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Lifter noise or Piston Slap?

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
So what was your noise? Lifters or slap? Yours sounds like lifters to me. More tappy than my noise.
GM Holden DL64/16 apparently will explain this (apparently GM Australia claim DL64/16 is proprietary information) . DL65/16 is out there and on this site and worth looking up - US sites have a lot of LS# Lifter and Piston Slap related documentation - if you find GM's DL64/16 please let me know as it was referred to in my documentation but fiercely withheld.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
It was 2017 it was only 2 months old when it happened . I had ordered the ute for myself with the provision that if a le came along I would take that

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Thanks Hg King, time line is as I expected (2 months old? so was the owner also offered his full money back under ACL?).
From my own appalling treatment and from what I have been told by ethical Holden Dealership trained mechanics the culture and attitude of GM to Australian consumers has deteriorated to blatant abuse. Bullying seems to be the preferred 'repair alternative' while Australian Consumer Laws can be treated as or considered toothless (to my understanding only Queensland has to date strengthened its Consumer Laws re Lemon Laws for vehicles and violations under ACL - we will see how strong in practice these laws are, as this case IS a David and Goliath battle, even though the stones available in Queensland are bigger than other States).

Suggest: It comes down to as a NEW VEHICLE owner under full factory Warranty would you accept, as reported by the following and others that your low km engine is not normal/faulty with resulting serious damage occurring:
1. Accept RACQ's reported not to drive report, accept serious engine faults exist as one Holden dealer sought a new engine and another Holden dealer sought initially to replace lifters and camshaft then review further when disassembled ...
2. OR be bullied, ACCEPT 6 months of the culpable manufacturer's stonewalling, deflecting and denied repair. Being told by 'GM Australia and New Zealand' without evidence that the abnormal noises are normal. ACCEPT that widely recognized problems where widely shown examples result in serious engine damage can be overridden by GM's unsubstantiated claim that the noises are not demonstrating any damage when claimed so by GM Australia (the party accountable for repair cost$). Accept its OK being left without your only vehicle (without a loan vehicle since GM refuse to cover the Dealers $$$ for its repair of a vehicle under Full Factory Warranty)? A consumer inherently also purchases warranty as part of buying a new vehicle: I surely expect the Dealer and Manufacturer to honor that warranty, particularly when in my case the vehicle was well treated and serviced by Holden Dealerships within its time and distance limitations.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Hey VCoz I am in nz and to be honest I think the dealers here might be a bit better ( not much ) I don't know if he was offered his money back and not positive about how long he had owned vehicle before the issue but fire away with the questions and I will give him a call and find out for you

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
apparently GM Australia claim DL64/16 is proprietary information
That may be the case that they are “proprietary” but as Holden made cars for the USA, any such docs that are provided to the US dealer must also be lodged with NHTSA, even if they are “proprietary”.

So Holden must have made DL64/16 available to NHTSA but probably wrapped in a GM TSB number somewhere within the 695 “manufacturers communication“ docs lodged with them.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/CHEVROLET/SS/4%2520DR/RWD#manufacturerCommunications

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
That may be the case that they are “proprietary” but as Holden made cars for the USA, any such docs that are provided to the US dealer must also be lodged with NHTSA, even if they are “proprietary”.

So Holden must have made DL64/16 available to NHTSA but probably wrapped in a GM TSB number somewhere within the 695 “manufacturers communication“ docs lodged with them.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/CHEVROLET/SS/4%2520DR/RWD#manufacturerCommunications

Thanks very interesting and good access to info but not what I need currently. GM's referred to DL64/16 remains illusive (if it actually exists).

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
It was 2017 it was only 2 months old when it happened . I had ordered the ute for myself with the provision that if a le came along I would take that
NZ laws are different to Australian CL so unable to make comment on if GM at that date were obligated to offer a full refund instead of new engine or new vehicle options under NZ laws for that Major Fault.
Thanks for the offer to seek info: what would be great would be any the documented diagnostic reports or technical findings re Piston Slap or Lifter damage diagnoses made to justify the engine replacement (also any cold start noise videos recorded and any GM accepted out of specification findings - these would be of great help to me.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
NZ laws are different to Australian CL so unable to make comment on if GM at that date were obligated to offer a full refund instead of new engine or new vehicle options under NZ laws for that Major Fault.
Thanks for the offer to seek info: what would be great would be any the documented diagnostic reports or technical findings re Piston Slap or Lifter damage diagnoses made to justify the engine replacement (also any cold start noise videos recorded and any GM accepted out of specification findings - these would be of great help to me.
He's not really mechanical minded and if I remember rightly he was keep in the dark about the problem but I will give him a call and see what he says

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thanks very interesting and good access to info but not what I need currently. GM's referred to DL64/16 remains illusive (if it actually exists).
Courts can and do consider laws and judgements from other jurisdictions as guidance in the absence of anything else…

The fact GM hasn’t made available any document related to assessing engine noise and what is or isn’t “normal”, as far as I’ve seen, to any US dealer and thus NHTSA, for those Pontiac G8 and Chevrolet SS “commodores” that Holden built for GM and sold in that market, MUST be telling in and of itself…

So yes, it does sound like Holden is simply tells porkies within our local market and which Holden is feeding you and possibly the courts… It‘s not smart if they are telling porkies to the courts…

If the DL64/16 is so elusive that it doesn’t appear anywhere and no dealer has heard of it, then Holden will be caught with their pants around their ankles Frasier style :p

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Once you reach court you should be able to use discovery to access those documents from GM.