Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Lifter noise or Piston Slap?

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Don't really have time to get 3rd or 5th opinions since starting working again and can't take time off so I'll play it by ear.
Hopefully @IBLOWN noise doesn't get any worse.

Even though the 2 videos were shot on different cameras you can clearly hear that the noise in the video i took today (2nd video) isn't as pronounced as it was a week and a half ago and pretty much goes away while the car is still cold.

gone from making this noise for this amount of time...

to making this noise for this amount of time...
My noise is all over the place. Some days good, some days bad. Theres no pattern. It can be a really cold day and its ok, then a warmer day and its bad. Most of the time its bad when the weather is cold. Like i said, it didnt do it last summer or the summer before. Only as soon as it starts cooling down.

The other thing is, if i drive it, its fine for about 2 days, then its bad again. Sort of lines up with lifters. But nothing else lines up with lifters. Especially after i changed them.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
i under stand the noise , what people are worrying about, is it piston slap, or maybe a lifter gone bad, i can understand if you bought the car new feeling ripped off , its a dud lemon FIX IT
but with holden having pulled the pin and closed doors and being more than a pain in the a##s to get holden to repair under warranty
maybe its worth just paying out $5-6k to have the block bored and over size pistons fitted
the stress and on going worry to ones health , maybe its better to just pay up and have it fixed properly
even have engine up graded while its apart
they are great engines, simple and cheap to rebuild
worry and stress is not good for ones health and if you can afford it just do a rebuild, the cars are holding value, its not a waste of money
all the best mate

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The other thing is, if i drive it, its fine for about 2 days, then its bad again. Sort of lines up with lifters. But nothing else lines up with lifters. Especially after i changed them.
Piston slap doesn't vary beyond temperature and lifters are the only other components that'll tick as loud as that some days and not others. I wouldn't guarantee that a new set of stock lifters couldn't have a faulty one in the set. What happens if you lift the RPM to 2500 whilst it's ticking? That'll often pump up a noisy lifter. Switching the engine off and restarting it whilst it's ticking can also alter lifter noises.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Heres an in-car video i just made. Stone cold.

I’m certainly no expert on what a V8 should sound like, but I found the sound of yours quite disturbing. What was more disturbing was it never seemed to quieten down.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Piston slap doesn't vary beyond temperature and lifters are the only other components that'll tick as loud as that some days and not others. I wouldn't guarantee that a new set of stock lifters couldn't have a faulty one in the set. What happens if you lift the RPM to 2500 whilst it's ticking? That'll often pump up a noisy lifter. Switching the engine off and restarting it whilst it's ticking can also alter lifter noises.
Its the loudest at 2500rpm in park. Cant hear it over about 3000, but its load dependant. If you roll while holding a gear the noise stops, soon as you touch the throttle, its noisy again. Lifters would always be noisy no matter the load, and my noise is not tappy, its deeper. Takes a good 10mins for the noise to clear. Watch my vid and take note of me loading it and unloading from 1:40. You can also notice when it changes gear and the ecu back the throttle off between each gear, the noise stops for that split second.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Its the loudest at 2500rpm in park. Cant hear it over about 3000, but its load dependant. If you roll while holding a gear the noise stops, soon as you touch the throttle, its noisy again. Lifters would always be noisy no matter the load, and my noise is not tappy, its deeper. Takes a good 10mins for the noise to clear. Watch my vid and take note of me loading it and unloading from 1:40. You can also notice when it changes gear and the ecu back the throttle off between each gear, the noise stops for that split second.

Impressed by your indicator technique at 1 min 23 seconds:)

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS

Yeah that definitely sounds like false knock/slapping more than tappety tap, like flicking your tongue

I have to say that is at the rough end of the scale, personally I'd be pulling the heads off to have a look at the bore but understandably that's not everyone's cup of tea

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
personally I'd be pulling the heads off to have a look at the bore but understandably that's not everyone's cup of tea
Couldn’t the same be achieved by simply removing spark plugs and using a borescope?

If you can’t see any cross hatch but lots of vertical scratches, wouldn’t that be a sure sign the bore has been damaged by piston slap?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Couldn’t the same be achieved by simply removing spark plugs and using a borescope?

If you can’t see any cross hatch but lots of vertical scratches, wouldn’t that be a sure sign the bore has been damaged by piston slap?
Absolutely, just depending on kms the marks might be very difficult to see in a cave with a torch. The other thing I would do as part of that would be rotating the crank and wiggling on the pistons as they travel. Like I said ripping heads off for a weekend inspection is not everyone's cup of tea. Nothing beats an open air looksee