Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lumpy cam?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
im not really after proformance, i just want it to sound awesome as haha so i was going to put a lumpy cam in it??

Lumpy cam making a Ecotec sound awesome is like putting lingerie on that 200kg heffer down the road and hoping it'll make her look like a super model. No matter what you do - it's not going to happen.

haha ease up, i got told a lumpy cam makes it sound different?? and improves proformance?

Different: yes. Good: No. Improve performance: it will be marginally less slow than before if you do it right, do it wrong and it will be slower.

Reaper

The pig

Reaction score
Members Ride
69 rs ss camaro/ rodeo dual cab
Lumpy cam will probably make u feel like you are going backwards, if money isnt an option get it dyno tuned and go from there coz youll need head work exhaust, computer and upgraded ignition, putting a lumpy bump stick in a motor is a waste of time without matching the rest of your top end to make it wirk youll just waste fuel.;)

The pig

Reaction score
Members Ride
69 rs ss camaro/ rodeo dual cab
Ecotec sixes dont and wont sound awesome at most theyll sound "throaty", if your only after a good noise and your licence isnt a restriction look to getting an eight. A conversion these days isnt a bank breaker but hey mate its all up to you and your wallet. De tune the ecotec to run like a pig and rip yourexhaust off from the diff thatll **** the neigbours off and the cops so i wouldnt do it personally.

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
Just put a poker card on a spoke if your mag, will sound like a motorbike and gain you serious rwkw. lol speak to mace they should be able to help. I'm going cam soon your looking at a couple grand for parts and install. But you only want it for sound my advice is buy a v8.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
what about those ghostcams if you dont care about power.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive seen heaps of so-called performance cams that either wear out quickly or dont do what the makers claim. Id contact wade or crow cams etc, these compaies have been doing camshaft work for years now and will steer you in the right direction with your needs...These places usually cost a bit more than the dodgey places, but your also paying for the years of experience these companies have grinding camshafts, which is well worth it I reckon....

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Ive seen heaps of so-called performance cams that either wear out quickly or dont do what the makers claim. Id contact wade or crow cams etc, these compaies have been doing camshaft work for years now and will steer you in the right direction with your needs...These places usually cost a bit more than the dodgey places, but your also paying for the years of experience these companies have grinding camshafts, which is well worth it I reckon....

By definition a bigger cam will wear pretty much the entire valve train faster due to higher lift, aggressive ramp angles etc etc etc. Not to mention how most of them are driven. Of course the quality of components, assembly and frequency of servicing all will have a big bearing on life as well.

Reaper

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
By definition a bigger cam will wear pretty much the entire valve train faster due to higher lift, aggressive ramp angles etc etc etc. Not to mention how most of them are driven. Of course the quality of components, assembly and frequency of servicing all will have a big bearing on life as well.

Reaper
When I said "wears out quickly", I meant Ive seen them wear down the cam lobes and chop out the cam bearings in like 20,000 ks of being fitted..And Its always the cheapie cams that seem to do this. Ive never seen a wade cam or similar have this **** happen, unless it was installed wrong or fitted with the old lifters.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
If I was you and you really felt inclined to get some more power just change over the rockers, full exhaust and a tune. Cams can turn into an expensive exercise.

This, i was quoted a couple of grand on top of the cam to get the cam changed over. I've got YT 1.9:1 rockers, full exhaust, modified intake (still needs a tune) and the VX goes a lot harder now.