Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mafless Tune Surprised and Disappointed!

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
No, you don't need any add-ons to get some extra power, since the standard V8 is tuned quite poorly. I'm not sure if this is a deliberate marketing strategy to keep the "halo cars" significantly faster, or just "insurance" against abuse and potential breakages. If course, if you do have some mods done, you can get more benefit from the mods by having the engine re-tuned.

My VY2 SV8 is totally stock, no air filter, muffler change or even a sticker. It was dynoed stock at 240rwhp. After a tune using HP Tuners LS1 Edit(?) software it made 270rwhp. This is not a aggresive or dangerous tune - you'd never know the difference during the daily drive. Gains were across the entire rev range but most significant in the 4000-6000 rev range. I also had the speedo recalibrated and the auto shift points tweaked.

hey mate notice any changes in petrol

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
if your after serious torque. then maybe a bigger cubed engine or forced inducion would be a better route to take ?

as for comparison sakes.
1st pic is the stock ve table

2nd is a mafless tune im woking on

Attachments

• stock vx VE table.jpg
    stock vx VE table.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 439
  • Mafless Vx VE table.jpg
    Mafless Vx VE table.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 588

jonnyturbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII SS
well yeh that's what im a bit p***ed about. rather than spending all that dosh on these upgrade's i coulda just suprcharged it for the same amount.... too late now :bang:

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
how mch did you actually part with and do you have a dyno sheet ?

jonnyturbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII SS
1st upgrade- mild cam, valve spring's, pacemaker's and 2 3/4 no cat's, mafless tune= $3800nz ( i think ) which got me 225rwkw.
2nd upgrade- 92mm throttle body, "fast" inlet manifold, bigger stainless valve's and titanium seat's, ported & polished head's, did new cam chain and high flow oil pump at this time= $8400nz and that got it up to 247rwkw's.....kinda expected more.....

jesse3.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
my mates vxss got 327kw after exhaust, extractors, c.a.i and mafless tune he was pretty happy

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
1st upgrade- mild cam, valve spring's, pacemaker's and 2 3/4 no cat's, mafless tune= $3800nz ( i think ) which got me 225rwkw.
2nd upgrade- 92mm throttle body, "fast" inlet manifold, bigger stainless valve's and titanium seat's, ported & polished head's, did new cam chain and high flow oil pump at this time= $8400nz and that got it up to 247rwkw's.....kinda expected more.....

I would be expecting 300rwkw minimum with that set up... somethings up

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Who cares what numbers you get? If it drives well, it drives well :p

vnrockit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais & vt acclaim
don't worry about dyno reading take it to the track see what it does
i have a favourite dyno it gives me low figures but i know i can go to another dyno
and get a figure that says i have an extra 20hp
hows 273 on one dyno and 294 on another with nothing changed times don't chance from track to track that much

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Yeah discrepancies of 20kw between different dynos are common but not 53rwkw's, that just seems really low for the type of mods he's got.