Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] MAFless tuned running stock Air Intake

Maximus91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS M6
Hey guys,
Just a few quick questions!
I own an 05 VZ SS and I recently purchased a mail order MAFless Oztrack tune, that has been tuned to suit my exhaust and a VCM OTR I have. However, I'm still waiting for an IAT extension and sensor to arrive in the mail. So at the moment I'm running the MAFless PCM with the stock air intake, MAF in place. Just wondering if this can cause any issues?

Also, when idling, my fuel usage is apparently 99.9 lt/100, what could be causing this?
Once I start driving it comes back down to normal consumption.

Thanks!

Last edited:

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
average fuel resets every start? I would expect this after a batter has been disconnected. Do any of the other settings reset? pre set speed alert, trip a/b? dose your odometer stay on when car is off? As for the otr, I`m no expert but I would imagine your car may run rich due to not getting the amount of air your tune is to suit

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
All questions that you should be asking Oztrack.
Be prepared for all the for and against for using one tuner and not another, bound to happen with an open question thread like this one.

Maximus91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS M6
I have been resetting the avg fuel each start just to see if it has come down at all on idle. Yeah I thought that would be the case as well, seems to be running quite well though with the stock air intake. Highway economy has been around 8.5lt/100 down from around high 9s and low 10s.
Yeah you're right, questions I should be asking Oztrack. However, if anyone knows of any reason why I should not be running this tune without the OTR please let me know. In the meantime I'll try to get onto Oztrack.
Thanks

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
So long as you disconnected the maf wiring, i see no issue.

Its now just a tube that flows air.

Better to have a OTR as designed for it, but til such time, be happy with ya tubes

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
wrong: don't disconnect the maf wiring as the VZ models have the IAT sensor in the maf

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
is the 99.9l/100km the instant fuel usage, the one that changes constantly? If so then yeah, why wouldn't it be so rediculous when not moving? Usually it changes to litres per hour, so that might be something to do with the tune. If your average fuel usage is stable at around 9-10l then you're doing well.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Munz, is that correct for both the 5.7, and 6.0 in the VZ?, or only the 6.0?

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
Ian, that is for both.

The whole reason he has to keep his MAF connected is because the IAT sensor is there otherwise he would have left the OTR on...
it wont cause any problems, might not run exactly to the tune table but the car should be able to cover for this to a degree.
In any case its better than leaving the OTR on and having no IAT data.

Maximus91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS M6
Thanks for the replies guys!
I received my IAT sensor and extension today so the OTR is now on and the car is running nicely!

For future reference, I encountered no problems being MAFless tuned and running the stock intake with the MAF/IAT connected.

The 99.9 lt/100 actually does make sense now that I think about it, as the car is not actually moving anywhere. I can't remember what it used to read before the new PCM but I know it wasnt the 99.9, however its making sense too me now, seems like it was quite a silly question to ask now haha.

Anyway, appreciate the responses and the info, thanks guys!