Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Magnum - current value/prices Black Auto 23,000kms

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Hmm, 300SRT is kinda inferior to your R8, that would be an interesting choice to make, if you made it after you test drove it. :)

Gerlytrux just aren't my bag, I don't really see the point in chucking extra fuel into something which might be reasonably quickly (for a block of flats) between sets of lights but can't manage a corner.

Which leaves you with a C63 or I think maybe a 5-series of some description maybe? But the C63 is going to be a bit squeezy for the family after the R8. :)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Hmm, 300SRT is kinda inferior to your R8, that would be an interesting choice to make, if you made it after you test drove it. :)

Gerlytrux just aren't my bag, I don't really see the point in chucking extra fuel into something which might be reasonably quickly (for a block of flats) between sets of lights but can't manage a corner.

Which leaves you with a C63 or I think maybe a 5-series of some description maybe? But the C63 is going to be a bit squeezy for the family after the R8. :)

You never cease to amuse with your descriptions of SUVs.

Reactions: Lex

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
If you feel like keeping it, though, then keep it. Nobody ever regrets hanging on to something. Mind you, people only vaguely regret selling stuff as well, all those people who bought a $5000 GHTO Phase III which they sold 3 years later for $3000 can sigh about how it'd be worth $500k now but they're ignoring the amount of repairs & maintenance & real estate (buying/renting bigger houses etc) they'd have to have spent money on over the last 50 years.

Agree.

As much as we all like our cars, I don’t think that cars should be considered as an investment at all. They are just about always a depreciating asset. Even if one was lucky enough and fortunate enough to have the foresight to stash a Phase-III away as an investment 50 years ago, there are much easier ways of making that sort of money that is open to all of us. For example, the Australian stock market has average returns somewhere in the region of 9.5% per annum (some sources quote even higher figures).

So, instead of buying a rare Phase-III and stashing it way in the garage and having to pay for storage and insurance etc. and taking a chance that it was going to be a much sort after model in the future. If, instead, that $5000 was used to buy shares, it would be worth about $467,000 today.

If you are after fun and enjoyment, then buy a car, but if you are after money, then buy an investment. But I wouldn’t buy a car as an investment, and I wouldn’t rationalise the purchase of a car as an investment either - it almost certainly won’t be compared to average market returns.

:)

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual

That looks like Dutton's in Melb again, see the $120k+ VF wagons they had in another thread.

Tidy example for a VY but you can have a VF clubby for that price

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8

I actually looked at the 300 SRT8 when I bought my R8, never test drove it as R8 was definitely better value in a better overall package. Americans do stuff a lot of luxury features in their cars, but SRT8 in particular is not that much of a luxury being an old ageing platform with a basic interior, but the reviews I've read say its a hoot to drive.
I don't track my cars so GC SRT I think still manages well on the road from a handling perspective, again, haven't driven it yet, maybe I'll change my mind after I test drive it.
Not a big fan of the 5 series unless it's an M, so that does leave me with the C63 or the GLC stablemate :)

Agree.

As much as we all like our cars, I don’t think that cars should be considered as an investment at all. They are just about always a depreciating asset. Even if one was lucky enough and fortunate enough to have the foresight to stash a Phase-III away as an investment 50 years ago, there are much easier ways of making that sort of money that is open to all of us. For example, the Australian stock market has average returns somewhere in the region of 9.5% per annum (some sources quote even higher figures).

If you are after fun and enjoyment, then buy a car, but if you are after money, then buy an investment. But I wouldn’t buy a car as an investment, and I wouldn’t rationalise the purchase of a car as an investment either - it almost certainly won’t be compared to average market returns.

:)
Never bought the R8 as an investment and have driven it more than I normally would, given I travel a lot for work and work from home for most of the remaining time, so it is only driven for leisure :)
Do have investment in the shares portfolio and getting the keys to my third investment property next week, so definitely cars are for enjoyment only and not investment for me :)
The only reason I am thinking about selling is that I am overdue for a change as per my normal upgrade cycle(around 3 years), but think I will miss the car once I sell it even if I buy something more expensive like a C63.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I actually looked at the 300 SRT8 when I bought my R8, never test drove it as R8 was definitely better value in a better overall package. Americans do stuff a lot of luxury features in their cars, but SRT8 in particular is not that much of a luxury being an old ageing platform with a basic interior, but the reviews I've read say its a hoot to drive.
I don't track my cars so GC SRT I think still manages well on the road from a handling perspective, again, haven't driven it yet, maybe I'll change my mind after I test drive it.
After about 100 years of making cars, Americans learned how to make a car handle in a non-racetrack situation approximately for the C6 Corvette & the pre-facelift version of the current Mustang (MY2015?). Oh ... and the Gen 5 Camaro ... :D
The 300 is from before that, in fact it's a rebody of a 1991 Mercedes Benz E-Class, but with the American idea of "sporty suspension" it's over-firm & skips around corners that have the sort of bumps that all Australian non-motorways have.

They do make nice noises, and the engine's a pretty good thing - they should have got Chrysler Australia to do the suspension. :) The interior is also a "half a generation" behind Gen-F / VF, feels fairly cheap
BUT
what gets up one person's nose doesn't bother another, and what one person thinks is "oh yeah I guess" is another person's "FWOAAARRR!!", so there's no reason not to at least give it a try!