Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Maintaining radio and HAVAC memory

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyone know if there is a way garage can keep full memory for HAVAC and radio and facia kit for a period of say 30hrs?

Had a new battery fitted today and he plugged a module into the code reader port, but I still came out with loss of steering wheel controls, a reverse camera view that stayed on every time I started the car and non working HAVAC that required resetting when it was blowing hot air at the feet and cool air through the dash and not changing with dial adjustment. If I can I'd prefer to avoid this scenario when the trans comes out next week.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
wow why does yours have those issues ? ive had mine without power for years now and i dont get any issues even radio still has my stations preset

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought the OBD2 module he plugged in would have worked. Seems all it did was keep the computer settings. Radio kept the time but was off when i turned the key.

I have a Toledo 9v plug in memory tool, and I'd guess the garage has one too, but I don't see it lasting 30hrs if they have the ute overnight.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i use a little 12v burglar/nbn battery with a 5a fuse
i connect it to the jump start under the bonnet
then disconnect and insulate main battery
and then work as if it was live
if you do slip up then you pop the fuse and lose your memories

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yours will be wired up differently then, the factory radio is on the canbus for its on/off where it only has a battery feed so its usually those plug in deals will keep battery to it but if its different to yours now u will loose it, they shouldnt have to remove the battery power for your mods and fitting any other battery will only do the exact same as keeping the main one in and hooked up anyway

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'll chat to him when I drop it off and see if he has a way of keeping power to it. I just don't want to go waste more of his time as I've already spoken about what I have parts wise and what I want done twice in a day.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
At the end of the day resetting the HAVAC etc is not a big job. But working out how to do it takes me a while of playing around with stuff until it works. And with my memory I can't remember what I did to get it working again today, so no hope of remembering next Thursday or Friday, hahahaha.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if the box is going out the bottom then only have to tilt engine or lower frame and box just has plugs on it so no issues with touching stuff so battery in is all fine, only if ur taking the engine out id recommend to disconnect battery, or just put power to the lug at the front of the fuse box and chassis earth should keep all fuse box going then engine power wiring can be disconnected at the jump start point near passenger strut its just a bolt undo to disconnect if engine out

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was thinking they would need to cut power to the starter motor, which is why I assumed they'd need to disconnect the battery.

Maybe not?