Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Making Vodka - Advice Anyone

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hi,

Well my mate is making his own beer. I thought it'd be awesome to jump in the hobby, but I rather make some Vodka, if it's not too hard.

I WON'T BE SELLING!

Just wondering if anyone is/has done this before and could give some advice?
I've looked at some Starter Kits on Brewing stores. They sell this Air Stiller, which looks small enough for me (I don't want to make heaps, just want to make 1L per month is plenty). Just wondering if anyone has advice or could recommend, give advice.

and it's not illegal to do this right? I'm not selling and not produce large quantities. There are plenty of stores that sell the gear so shouldn't be illegal.

I need some advice on the Stills, I've read a bit about the Air Still... a lot of people don't recommend them but this looks the cheapest option unless I build my own (which I wouldn't know how). I don't want to spend great amounts of money, because I don't have it and it'd take years to pay for itself.... I don't really drink that much.

For a first Still the Air Still looks pretty good. Ye it's not going to be best quality vodka, but it's a start right? I don't want to spend $600+ on a Rig and find out this hobby isn't really my thing, you know.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'm pretty sure making any kind of spirit is illegal in Australia. You can own a still under 5L capacity but it can only be used for water purification or essential oil extraction.

Google is your friend for recipes or processes.

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Sounds to me like you should just walk away from the whole idea.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
my mate makes his own sprits its about 80% then he adds what ever flavor you want bourbon vodka rum hell he even makes bailieys didnt think it was illegal. But i dont care if it is because its free:beer chug:

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I'm pretty sure making any kind of spirit is illegal in Australia. You can own a still under 5L capacity but it can only be used for water purification or essential oil extraction.

Google is your friend for recipes or processes.

You recon it's Illegal? But you can make beer ye? Wonder why it'd be illegal. I could see it being illegal if you sold it. But it's kind of like growing your own vegetables.. just cause the government doesn't make money from you.. shouldn't make it illegal.
I'll try searching google for the laws (not sure If I'll find - might as one of the cops here).

also, I don't understand how stores can sell it, if it's illegal.
West Brew T/As Brewcraft - Air Still Complete Starter Pack (2 Free Flavours) - Stills and Distillation - Stills - WestBrew Home Brew Kits | Beer Flavours | Perth Western Australia

Edit:.... just read it. "Although small distillation units are available and legal for the purpose of water purification and essential oil manufacture, turning your alcobase/turbo yeast fermentations into spirit via distillation is illegal under Australian law" Australian Customs Notice No. 97/98 (Section 10/11/11a). "

Edit: Kinda stupid if you can buy a starter kit that includes:
2 x 1.125L Spirit Bottles, Spirit Hydrometer, Beer Hydrometer, Hydrometer Test Jar.
We are just going to purify water and test how much Alcohol will be in it.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Mod. Please delete this Thread.

I guess that quickly turned that idea down.

"Although small distillation units are available and legal for the purpose of water purification and essential oil manufacture, turning your alcobase/turbo yeast fermentations into spirit via distillation is illegal under Australian law" Australian Customs Notice No. 97/98 (Section 10/11/11a). "

Illegal to make your own Spirits.

Suppose, I might just make beer :p Beer is legal I presume. I guess Spirits are illegal because the alcohol percentage is much higher and cause harm.

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
I had a friend with a still. Once you have it you can make rum, bourbon, vodka, bailey etc etc etc the list goes on. As far as he knew it wasnt illegal so long as you werent selling it. Most stores like u brew it stock the kits. For the one he had it was approx $600 and that came with everything. except the ingredients required to make it. U brew it and brewcraft (not sure what they are called in your state but in WA thats what we have) they sell kits I think for about $40 and they contain the sugar, yeast, flavour and every thing to make a batch. I hope that helps any other questions ill try and help where i can.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
It depends on the alcohol level. you can make alcobase of low level content like wines / fortified wines level and add flavours.

I can tell you very seriously - temperature is the key. Distill at too high a temperature and get low alochol content, and mineral salts. Too low a temperature and get Methanol content which will drive you blind.

It is legal to make high potency alcohols in New zealand.

The laws do not allow for home brewing of alcohol based fuels for motor vehicles...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Like some things, it is legal to buy and own, but illegal to use for the manufacture of spirits. Even though you can legally buy everything you need to make them.

The laws do not allow for home brewing of alcohol based fuels for motor vehicles...

But you are still making a distilled spirit, regardless of what it is used for. Illegal in Aus.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Yeah, but I'm dissappointed that i cant get the waste brewers wash from the fourexx brewery at milton, and distill it for wood alcohols to run a car on. Alcohols burn more completley, but have a lower energy value, and a lesser greenhouse byproduct. Would be sorta nice to do as an option you know.

However it is Legal for CSR to do exactly that for a profit / Ethanol ?